Little power with new tires!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Green

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Sport Trac 4x2 with approx. 64000 miles on it. I just put new bigger tires on it (265/75/16) However, I just got back from a trip out of town and noticed that my truck has less power when climbing hills at higher speeds (60-70mph) I think the loss of power might be ecause of the bigger tires. What can I do to get more power other than a chip because my warranty is still active. Thank you for any info.

Michael

Other then a chip? A flasher would work, if you need service, just put the old program back in and take it in. Besides that, putting the proper size tire on would bring you back to stock.

Tom

What gear do you have? I went from 255,s to 285/75/16 bfg,s and you can notice it but its not too much with 4:10 gears, even towing.

I can still squeal the tires if I take a notion to:D

Todd

I went from P255/70Rx16's to P285/60RX16's and noticed a little bit of difference in power. I had the system reflashed and it made a small difference. I think the only thing to help is to add a chip.

Thanks guys! But, is a flasher and chip the same thing and also what kind do I need to get? And approx. how much will it help me.

P.S. I am not running 4:10, and also I have good power at lower speeds like below 55. just not above that.

Thanks

Michael

Also if oyur speedo is off the computer does not know the tru speed your traveling and can not compisate for this, the tranny will shift at the wrong points...

The flasher simply plugs under the dash and re programs the computer, the chip you must remive the comoputer and mess wit it... The flasher is the only way to go...

Contact Wayne FOy...

Hypnotic Illusions

360 Ashton Way

Winder, GA 30680

Phone: 770-378-3447

Fax: 678-714-0038

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://www.hypillauto.com/

Todd Z

There is a happy medium.

Too small of a tire you get tons of power but max engine RPM's way too soon.

Too big, loose some power but keep the RPM's well within range.

You will normally see a mileage change as well...

My ST did this when I first put the bigger tires on. However, after a few weeks, it seems the truck "adjusted" to the new tires and acceleration returned. Wait a few weeks, and see if it happens to you.