limited slip?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh mcleod

Reaction score
is it possible to get a limited slip for my 05 ST, want to buy one. if so ware?

if i went to a salvage yard, would it be easy to change?

http://www.aussielocker.com/

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I have seen both, The Aussie is a little quieter, they both are about the same to install, also the Aussie is a lot cheeper...

IF it was MY truck, I would actually install a complete carrier unit... The add on ones are good, But not for me..

Todd Z

Although both the Aussie and the Powertrax are awesome, neither is a LSD. They are automatic Lockers (AKA: LunchBox locker). They are either locked or not (generally locked when straight, unlocked when turning, but not always). They are also big favorites of off-roaders. I plan on putting an Aussie in the front of my Jeep soon.

An OE limited-slip, new, costs about $250 plus install. If it were me I'd drop another $150 or $200 for a Detroit True-Trac locker, a gear-driven limited-slip that is essentially the same as the Torsen diff in the Ranger FX4 Level II and Hummer H1.

What is this new mechanical limited slip from Eaton? They are using them in GM's. Are they any good? Do they make one for fords?

I have had problems with the detroit true trac. It would not shut up even on the straights it clunked and clicked. Didn't feel comfortable having it in the truck so I got it taken out. This was all at the dealer ordered, installed, everything. Now I have a brand new limited slip. Go with whats been proven to work.

Wonderful. One more choice. ;)

At this point, I may just pick up a Aussie and call it a day. I like the idea of the actual LS that is stock, but I don't really want to pay the dealer to do it.

If this helps, sometimes, on ice and snow, an open differential can be more stable than a locker or limited slip because there is one wheel not powered. When both wheels are powered on a slippery surface and they begin to slip, they both slip and there is nothing to keep the vehicle from sliding sideways. This makes the case for a locking differential that is normally open. These are $pendy, though.

Just a thought.

If this helps, sometimes, on ice and snow, an open differential can be more stable than a locker or limited slip because there is one wheel not powered. When both wheels are powered on a slippery surface and they begin to slip, they both slip and there is nothing to keep the vehicle from sliding sideways. This makes the case for a locking differential that is normally open. These are $pendy, though. Just a thought.

True, more so on ice or hard packed snow, with deep snow the limited slip works better. With the ST's I owned both the open and the limited slip and I had the limited slip cause my hind end to kick out a few times on highways. I upgraded to the F150 after the ST's and the limited slip doesn't seem to kick out the back end like it did on the ST. Maybe the additional weight of the supercrew helps?

Latest posts