Lighten it up for better gas mileage?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just stick up for yourself bro, its your truck, get it fixed or get whatever needs to be done done

dont leave until your satisfied

Amber I hate to hear this,If you have any other Dealers,even if they are several miles away, call them and tell them your problems. They might want to work with ya. One last thing you can try is an xcal. If you buy another Ford,you can unlock it and have tunes made for it as well._Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Bootsy, Good luck. Should do better than that.

My 2007 V-6 4X4 ST GETS 16-17 everyday driving. Haven't had it on an Interstate trip yet.

Weight reduction always helps mileage but removing cover might be offset by wind drag on tailgate.

Driving habits make a big difference. I get better mileage now at 67 years of age than I did at 17 ? Wonder why ? (grin)

Are their options on axle ratio's? High ratio axle ratio would make big difference in fuel mileage.Next drive I will record and report back engine RPM's at 40-50-60mph.

Let us know how you come out.

Bill

Bootsy,

I was Parts Manager at local Ford Dealership for years and had many complaints about mileage over the years.

In order to address the problem we always asked for 3 or more tanks of fuel records. Mileage written down at each fuel fill up and average taken over 3 or more tanks of fuel run thru vehicle.This way no chance of wrong readings when relying on on board computer.

We also verified that vehicle had correct size wheels and tires.

Bill

I dropped her off yesterday afternoon & haven't heard back from them yet. They are also looking into the steering column clicking, break squeel, transmission thrusts, paint bubbles, etc. Can I drive it off a bridge yet?

Well I got the call yesterday evening. They told me that there was a couple of major bolts that had something to do with the steering shaft & transmission that needed replaced, along with a few minor other parts. He implied to me that it was MAJOR and shouldn't be driven until fixed. I asked him what exactly he was talking about & he said "I was afraid you would ask me that", then he basically him hawed around everything and said it would be a few days before I get her back. He said there was no brake squeel (my butt), and that they did another update to the transmission. So basically it is sitting there waiting for these infamous "major bolts & a few other minor parts" to get in and installed.

What the hell Ford, this thing has 6700 miles on it. PLEASE tell me I am dreaming! I certainly DO NOT feel safe with this vehicle at all now. Are they trying to take population control into their own hands or what?

You might not want to hear this right now since you're on the verge of pushing your Trac off a cliff, but I just wanted to tell you that your truck is gorgeous. :wub:

Love the whole look of it, especially with the very complimentary wheels. I showed it to my 16 year old granddaughter and she said "Sweeeeeeet!". She loves my Trac and is hoping I give it to her someday.

Very nice look, Amber. I hope things work out for you.

What ever happened with this? I am loving my new '07 but am chasing down an intermediate brake squeel that seems to pop up every now and then in parking lots at low speeds. It is LOUD TOO!! Dealer resurfaced rotors, changed pads, and she still does it now and then. By the way, it only has 2600 miles so far.

My MPG's so far are 15-16 city and ~23 hwy.

The OEM pads suck hot donkey butt. It's because of them. At 12k miles, my rotors were horribly grooved.

I wonder if I can get them to install other pads? Any recomendations? My buddy is the service advisor so maybe he can pull some strings.

I have EBC pads. I couldn't be happier.

You probably would prefer the Akebono pads, though.

I have anbd have had the brake squeal. The culprit is the emergency brake not completely disengaging when you disengage it. When I hear the squeal, I re-apply the e-brake and disengage it again. that usually fixes the problem.

I got the Trac back. I updated oer request in the thread titled (Bootsy...any Update?). For some reason I don't know how to link on this board, but everything is in there. Sorry for not wanting to retype all of it...but it is the only thing that cxomes up when you search Bootsy;)

Anyway, I did go have mt Trac estimated for a trade in today. It was good news, so I might just go forward with trading it in. From that you might be able to guess that my mileage is still terribly bad. I might still keep the Trac, but the number they gave me for trade in was actually good.

If I do trade her in, I will keep you all posted on that info as well....either in this thread or the one titled (Bootsy...any Update?). If she goes, I will have those beautiful wheels for sale in here I am sure:) Thanks for the concern! Oh and the dealership (Cadillac Dealership) did say it was one of the nicest looking Ford's they have seen, so that is a bonus....just wish it functioned as nice as it looks....meh. I'll be in touch:)

Latest posts