Legal Help Needed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin

Reaction score
Just got paid today and found out that the company has shorted our pay. They claim they are working on finding out what happened, but this isn't the first time this has happened. HR and the mgrs are useless for getting any info.

Does anyone know who we could call to have the company payroll department investigated? Everyone got shorted different amounts, some only got like 6 bucks for two weeks of pay.

I can't afford to hire an atty and I would want it to be kept private so the company doesn't know who had them investigated.

I know each state has their own laws, but this would be in the state of Texas.

Thx for any ideas or if someone knows what would be best to have this checked out or who to call.

try what i did for my son. with his employer. call the labor board and ask them what can be done about.. but i think you'll need to get as many of fellow employee's to back your statement up.. call the labor board. goodluck.. what i did for my son. i wrote a note and posted it on his employers door . it said.. this business is having the labor board called upon. and let me tell you that woke his boss up. his boss came in and ask if anyone knows anything about this.. and everyone said nope.. and then later on my sons boss came up to my son and ask him, hey do you know who would of put this on my door. and my son said im going to be honest with you, yeah i know, it was my mom. and my son said she tired of me being so mad all the time from not getting paid.. my full wages...my son went 3 months not getting paid.. oh he did get some money but not all of it... he'd have coming at least 1,000 dollar for working.. and he would only get maybe 100 dollar out of a 1,000. and this went on for 3 months. so i called the labor board. and got results and now my son dosent work for the guy.. and his old boss ended up closing shop. and my son is now driving cross country with his older brother. making good money.. so try calling the labor board.. and see what they say.. and or call the better business bearu.. good luck..

Desert fox, I also am in Texas. I dont know if it is fedral or texas law. My union always told us that our employer had 24hrs to make up the difference of 40hrs pay. Any OT was alowed on the next pay period. That is what we were told and it did happen a few times in 36yrs. I dont know where to get the reference though.

Thx.......

My company is non-union and they are having financial issues since they are making us take a week off each month and some weeks only working 4 days/32 hrs.

Last pay period, I was paid 40 hrs reg and 40 hrs PTO.....it should have been 40 hrs reg, 32 hrs PTO and 8 hrs holiday. And they messed up and gave me 4 hrs OT (we are not working any OT) and said they would deduct the OT mistake this pay period. So, today I get my statement and it shows 63 hrs reg, neg 4 hrs OT, 8 hrs holiday, neg 8 hrs PTO. Total worked hrs this pay period should have been 72 hrs since we worked 5 days the week before and 4 days last week. So, I am short 9 hrs of pay this period. Not a real big deal for me for just 9 hrs worth of pay, but for others it has been major with some missing a whole week or more of pay owed.

I think between the weeks we are shut down and the off/on short weeks, the payroll dept is getting all screwed up as to what they are supposed to pay us.

We clock in/out with our badges on a timeclock, so there shouldn't be any issue as to what days/hrs we work each week.

Some employee's think since the company is having financial issues, this mistake with everyone's pay was done on purpose and the company couldn't afford to pay us what they owe us even with these shortened pay periods.

If this was a one time deal, I could understand a possible computer glitch, but this isn't the first time this has happened and this is now two pay periods back to back they have messed up our earnings.

Guess I will call the labor board and see what can be done if anything. I wish they could get someone to go in there and do an audit of the payroll system.

Thx.......have a good weekend guys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had this happen in my company. I call the company that does the payroll and they have a new check with the right amount issued and delivered within 2 hours. As a owner or boss you have the responsibility to not only making sure the employees do their job, but to also make sure they are happy. When this was reported to him, he should have got on the phone or gone to the person and got it corrected right then. When this does not happen in a timely manner and continues to happen, to as everyone else has said, but also report this to the local BBB and Chamber of Commerce.

CALL THE TEXAS WORKFORCE COMMISSION@ 1-800-832-9243. MY COMPANY HAS BEEN SHORTING ME A $1.40 AN HOUR SINCE I HAVE BEEN THERE. I COMPLAINED BUT THE HEAD GUY WOULD NOT LISTEN. THE FORM YOU NEED IS CALLED A WAGE CLAIM FORM. FILL IT OUT SEND IT TO AUSTIN . YOUR COMPANY WILL LISTEN THEN! YOU CAN DOWNLOAD IT FROM THE TWC WEBSITE.

Contact the labor board, they don't have to tell your boss who it was. Then once you get your money quit and find a job where they'll pay you for real. Don't call a lawyer, that'll cost you more and they usually have more lawyers then you do. It's have to be a large sum of money before I'd call a lawyer.

Thanks again for the tips......for me, it's not that much money, but we're talking 80 employees getting ripped off what's owed to them which as a group really adds up.

I do have to handle this so my company doesn't find out it was me that 'spilled the beans'.

We all found out early this morning about our pay checks and we normally get out about 60 units per day for an 8 hr shift........today we only shipped 17 units. None of us felt like doing any work after finding out we got cheated again out of our pay.

I really don't want to have to go look for another job since jobs are hard to find here in N Texas and the one I have now is just 4 miles from my house. Hate the thought of having to end up driving someplace like Dallas or Ft. Worth with the cost of gas these days.

Anyway, I will get intouch with TWC and the local labor board. I hope the company can get this resolved around the first part of next week and not give us some crap about fixing it on the next pay period which is two weeks from now.

Our next shutdown is this month the week of Aug 8-15 and they told us to contact the UI office to claim unemployment for that week. We are also on something called "Work Share" where we are supposed to get paid for weeks we only work 32 hrs. UI did away with paper checks and we all got issued debit cards thru Chase and the money is supposed to be deposited into our accounts.

All this is becoming a real fieasco.......grrrrrrrrrr :wacko:

when i called the labor board they said that if an employer terms employee they have to cut them a pay check by the end of the day.. now if its a shortage on a payroll check i think they said the employer has to have a new check cut by the end that work week.. i can be positive. call the labor board and tell them what happened they'll help you out.. good luck...

Thanks LB.......going to go in monday and see what they tell us about our money and if it's still unkown when they can correct the issue, I'll be sure to pursue it outside the company.

From your post about the reg hrs and pto hrs and holiday...sounds like whoever is doing the payroll doesn't know what they are doing. It could be a computer gliche...but I think it's more a data entry issue. Somebody in Payroll needs to start qc' ing the payroll data entry.

Since payroll mistakes happen frequently and with most employees pay. It would not hurt to just call the labor board as ladybug suggested. And you don't have to give your name. You can just ask them general questions without giving companies name or even your name. Doesnt' hurt to ask what the law is regarding issues such as yours.

That is your earned money and the labor board understands that. I am sure someone there can give you some advice.

If a company is in business and has that many employees they need to be proactive and make sure their employees are paid and paid correctly. Sure, an occational mistake or gliche can happen, but in your case...sounds like problem is frequent (more than a couple of times a year) The company should have corrected it the very first time and changed payroll companies the second time it happened. (unless they do their own payroll)

If they do their own payroll then they need to look at who is doing it and correct the problem or maybe hire a company to do payroll for them.

Employers first rule should be --Never mess with the employee money.

Thanks GM :)

I think this is a human error since everyone's pay was different, all of us have worked the same days/hrs and should all have been paid the same with the exception of our different $ per hr wage.

I've been with the company for just over two years now and this is prob the 6th time this has happened, but the second time it affected all of us at the same time in two consecutive pay periods. The company does their own payroll and our checks are produced from their corp office in CA.

What makes me think this happened on purpose is, in the past 6 months, we have had aprox 4 layoffs. We used to have three shifts working 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week. Now we are down to two shifts working 8 hrs and some weeks only working 4 days a week.

The 'downsizing' due to a slowdown in the Semiconductor business worldwide.

We build and test gas and liquid flow controllers which get installed in semiconductor manufacturing equipment. We used to build and ship 1800 units per week and are now lucky if we do 800 per week.

If you really want to escalate things... Report it to the California Labor board where corporate is located. If it is a Constant "Glich" then it would be effecting more than your location. It might rattle some cages and hopefully stop this if it is a Corporate practice....

Not much help for Texas but in Washington State the dept of labor and indusrties has auditors that handle complaints such as yours. Complaint filed-company contacted-audit performed-corrections made. I'll bet Texas has a similar program. I would also think it's done with employee ID protected. Good luck

Start looking for another job...this is a sign of worse things to come.

Trust me, I've been there.

First it's 401k contributions that go in late.

Then it's the occasional paycheck irregularity.

Then it's the pay cut/work slow down (Friday afternoons off are good, right? Oh, but we have to cut your pay 10%).

Then it's the medical insurance claim that gets denied because your policy has lapsed.

Then it's layoffs, and more pay cuts...

I hope your company turns it around, but if this continues, get out...

TJR

Latest posts