Leaking Power Steering Fluid

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N J

Reaction score
Kinda have a bit of a problem here. Any input or similiar experience would be appreciated.

A few months ago I was pulling into a parking lot, slid on some ice and ended up hitting one of those concret parking blocks (one of those low ones, under shin high). My steering wheel was turn towards the left as it was a left hand turn, but I hit the block with the front passanger wheel. Things ran ok until about 2 months later when my power steering pretty much went on me. So I brought it to a local mechanic, he said I was pretty much out of pwr steering fluid and busted some o-ring on the DRIVER'S side. Replaced it and poured in some pwr steering fluid which is supposed to "fix" or plug up leaks.

Problem is, i'm still leaking the fluid (which he said might happen as his "fix" isin't a long-term solution). He mentioned that I may have to replace the entire steering rack, which I'm assuming will be a very very costly repair.

Anyone wanna share their thoughts????

Thanks

IF the rack is cracked, or he did not repair it properly or did not replace the inner tie rod right, It could be his fault..

IT also could be a hose leaking from his work...

You also could need a rack, then you need a wheel alignment too..

Todd Z

racks cost between $150 and $200 at auto zone and advanced auto parts.. labor is where they get you... even if you do it yourself you'll still have to take it somewhere for the alignment...

troy