Leaking Oil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Poorman

Reaction score
It seems I have an oil leak. Appears its coming from the drivers side of the motor. The starter and block are covered, along with the starter. Head Gasket? It's been sitting for 24 hours and there is a quarter sized spot on the driveway. Any other ideas of what it could be? It's too cold outside to investigate any further.

valve cover gasket?

i had that problem with my 01 ST. it started after i changed over to Full Synthetic Engine Oil.

i had it replace for about 370 at the ford dealer

I just spoke with my cousin, who is a mechanic. He suggested valve cover gasket also. He said he would have to take a look at it. He also said changing a head gasket would be a PITA!

Head gaskets rarely cause exterior leaks and if they do it will almost always be coolant. Odds are pretty good it will be the valve cover.

Drivers side>...... check PCV valve and hoses there...

Todd Z

Todd,

Do you happen to have any pictures of what your are talking about checking? I'm not at home, nor am I near the truck to look.

yup...

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im with Todd. A hose or the gromet in the valve cover.

Question: Are our valve covers O-ringed or cork or paper gasket.

Todd Z...your the best! Thank you for the pictures and I will check this out as soon as I get home.

And Eddie, I believe they are an O-ring type gasket.

Well, had it in the garage this evening. Looks like it is the valve cover gasket. There isn't any oil around the pcv at all. Called my closest dealership and they quoted $210-220 to change it. My cousin, who is a ASE certified mechanic said me and him could tackle it Friday night. I hope all goes well as I have no other vehicles to drive.

The gasket is an o ring type.. I have 1 here..LOL

It took george and I about 1 hour to change his Drivers side valve cover...

Todd Z

Latest posts