Last interior noise FOUND.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swshawaii

Staff member
1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
2 wheel drive
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
As you guys know. I've literally torn my interior apart to stop rattles and squeaks.

Eddie suggested I lube all my door latches with lithium spray. It helped immensely,

but I still had a subtle yet annoying popping sound going over bumps at low speeds.

Leaning on the rear passengers seat before vacuuming, I heard the familiar pop.

Pull up and down firmly on each of the four pivot hinge leg(s) bolted to the floor.

I believe one of them had less than 1/32" of vertical movement, causing all the noise.

Loosened all four, put a flat washer over each stud, Loctited, and torqued the flange nuts.

Drove the same "noisy" road repeatedly, trying to get the noise. Total silence, finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Chris. I've been in this process of noise elimination for THREE years!

Great to solve one, but almost guaranteed another will surface. Believe me, I know.

Everyone says, "it's a truck". Doesn't mean I can't drive one without annoying noises.

Good luck solving your EXTERIOR squeak. Well, those are totally different issues. :banghead:

I've got one that is coming from somewhere around the driver-side, back door. Its a loud squeek that I thought might be the upper shoulder belt adjuster. Tried to find it today. Any bump, manhole cover, patch in the road and its right next to my left ear. I guess I have to start the process of elimination! I'm goin' in, if I don't come out, call the paramedics.... Bob

I fixed my REAR 60/40 split seats. Four pivot brackets are bolted with floor studs/nuts.

The popping noise came from a very small amount of up/down movement causing the

stud threads to bind in the pivot bracket holes. (Very loud pop for so little movement)

Torque for the rear pivot nuts is 26 ft/lbs. Front seat bolts are 18 ft/lbs. Not very tight.

You may have more possible causes of noise with power seats, I have manual seats.

I just recently found one that was KILLIN me for months. A cable holding metal bracket that was above/beside my tranny came loose and was rubbing metal on metal on the tranny. I ripped the while center console out trying to find it, and was eventually able to find it from below and pull it out.

Days later the springs in my driver seat started to squeak. FML.

Latest posts