Lasik surgery

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
Well I'm about 6hrs. post op and seeing everything fine! I had Lasik done on 1 eye and PRK on the other. No more glasses for me:cool:

Thankyou Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye institute.:banana:

I had PRK done in 2001 while in the Navy, and it lasted about five years before my vision started to go again and I needed glasses. The docs said to expect this due to the natural aging of the eyes. The plus side is that my current prescription is nowhere near as strong as it was prior to the surgery.

What was the procedure like? Did you look into the light? Did you have to hold your eye still and look at one thing the entire time?

I can't speak to the Lasik, but as for the PRK, you lay down in the chair, they put some pain meds in your eye, and then a speculum to hold it open. Doesn't really hurt at all. Then, the doc programs the machine for your correction and puts it over your eye. There's a dot upon which to focus, and then the laser fires. Takes literally no longer than 10 seconds, and then you're getting up out of the chair, noticing improved vision right away. With PRK, it's not perfect instantly, but gradually improves over several months as the eye heals. Mine took about six months for the fuzziness to clear up and the corrected vision to settle in.

Post-op it was pretty painful for about four days, but I had some good pain meds. Also I was somewhat photo-phobic (light sensitive), especially around fluorescent and mercury lighting for a while, so I'd wear sunglasses.

Overall, though, it was worth it, especially since it was free!:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much what Traintrac said.

Lasik they cut a flap and do the correction under the flap, PRK they do the laser right on the surface, no flap.

I just had Lasik myself about 60 days ago. Best 5k I ever spent. Hands down. I opted for the blade free and custom computer mapping options and couldn't be happier with the results. Went from 20/400 (Cant read the "E" on the chart) to 20/15 and I can just barely read the 20/10 line if I squint.

As far as pain, the worst it felt was on day one and the analogy I can say is for those who wear contact lenses and ever wore them for longer than 12 hrs when they get dry and scratchy. Thats as bad as it got which was annoying but not painful. It was gone by day 2 and its been smooth sailing ever since.

Gavin, during the actual procedure they ask you to keep still but your eye is numbed and they have a device to keep your eye open and your head is held still on top of the computers tracking system that does the work so its probably almost a zero chance of a mishap. Once the flap is made and they take the Q-tip and flip it over you can't see anything anyway so you just concentrate on the blurr. Also I don't care what anyone says, I did catch a whiff of what smelled like hamburger on a grill for about two seconds when the lazer was firing.

So anyway, all kidding aside if your thinking of doing it, go for it I can't speak highly enough about it.

I had Lasik about seven years ago. I'm now 48 years old and I have pretty good distrant vision. It's the 10 to 20 foot range that I have a little trouble; I sometimes have to squint to read things. I can read up close just fine.

Had my Lasik done in 2000, cost 1800 per eye. Still very happy with it, only discomfort was the first day, felt like sand in my eyelids. I just kept my eyes closed and listened to the tv all day, went from 20/700 to 20/20 overnight. very happy with it and I had the scalpel/flap procedure. Never had pain, even throughout the procedure.

I will keep my glasses thank you...

Todd Z

What was the procedure like? Did you look into the light? Did you have to hold your eye still and look at one thing the entire time?

I hear they shove a huge needle into your eyeball that paralyses your head. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for having LASIK and PRK and the fine reports. I am still amazed at this procedure after thousands of patients completed, and it has only gotten better. Most centers are down about 40% due to the economy, but we will bounce back.....Congrats on the great results!

lasik1:

Do you mean patients are down 40% or LASIK costs are down 40% due to the economy? Or since patients are down 40% the cost is down 40%?

Next week I am haveing cataract surgery with a lens implant in my left eye, and next month I am having the samething done to my right eye.

I have had a number of procedures done on my eyes and I am amaized at what they can do. I had retinal bleeding which was stopped by laser surgery to shutdown the bleed blood vessles in my retina. Then I had Vitrectomies to both eyes to get the blood and debris out of my eyes and they put in a new clear fluid, but that promotes the growth of cataracts...So now I will be getting the old lenses with cataracts removed and new lensed implanted. I understand that often the new lens can be corrected so you do not have to wear glasses.

Moday I go for the pre-op and my eyes/lenses will be measured to select the proper replacement and the surgery is Thursday....I understand that it is only about a 15 minute procedure.

...Rich

OK 2day report:

If I did it again I wouldn't have done the PRK in 1 eye, woulda got lasik on both.

Since my correction wasn't that much I was able to do it this way. The PRK eye recovery is longer then the lasik.

My vision appears to be blurry from about 10 feet or so to infinity. Which surgery do I need? I can see closeup, not far away. I always get confused if I'm nearsighted or farsighted???

Thanks for the reply laski1. HAd me wondering and now I understand.

I may be off on the sequence here since I'm trying to remember back almost 25 years:

In the 80's PRK was out of my price range and due to my prescription (astigmatizm & thick lens), I was told it had a rather low chance of success. During the 90's, when Laser surgery (?) was available, I couldn't cost justify the $2500+ per eye even though I could have afforded it. Once I decided to do it, I was told that there was a new procedure (LASIK) and that I should wait for it.

So, the basis of my question. I was hoping that prices have dropped 40% from whatever it has been since I last inquired (2000?).

Guess I'll have to set-up another consultation with Greene Vision here in ICT and see what price they are offering now.

Thanks all for bringing this procedure back into my present thoughts.