Knocking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
Hi Guys! Seems like it's been ages since I last been on the board. Hope all is well with everyone and everyones trac is treating them well. I recently began to notice a knocking sound coming from under the hood while accelerating between 1500-2300 rpm. Besides changing the oil/filter, it's been a while since I last did any major overhauling. My plugs/wires were changed out a little over a year ago too. Any idea what could be going on? I visually inspected under the hood and nothing seems to jump out at me as being defective. Gonna do a better hands on inspection on my next day off. Thanks in advance, HST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knocking or buzzing? Possible easy fix, see TSB below.

Hi Steve! Thanks for the info. It's a definitive knocking sound, no buzzing. I will look into that though. How's the AV biz going?

Howzit Keola! Didn't recognize the HST sig (HawaiianST). Long time no see!

We closed the biz about a year ago, killer overhead and sick economy = FAIL.

Hope to see you more often bro, it was YOU that originally hooked me up here. :supercool:

Sorry to hear about the business, Steve. Hope you're on to bigger and better things. Funny you mention the HST thing. I've been away for so long, I forgot my board name! I hope to hang out here more frequently, haven't been spending as much time working on the trac like I used to. It's been way too long!

Harmonic balancer ???? Engine pinging ???

Have to diagnose.... you can take off the serp belt and start the engine, run it for a few seconds or even down the road a few feet to see if it does it...... IF it does still then its internal, if it doescent its external..

Todd Z

Thanks Todd Z, that's the exact info I needed to point me in the right direction. Gonna do that on my day off tomorrow.

Well, well, well!

Nice to see you're still kickin' around Keola.

What's up Bro! Still kickin with lots of life left! Just been on hiatus for a while and hope to be hanging out here more often like before. Hope all is well buddy!

I have herd about some valve clatter at that RPM through acceleration. Maybe you should go out and "drive it like you stole it" once or twice. Is it heavy like a rod, or light like a valve? (knock Knock or tick tick) Ed

I have herd about some valve clatter at that RPM through acceleration. Maybe you should go out and "drive it like you stole it" once or twice. Is it heavy like a rod, or light like a valve? (knock Knock or tick tick) Ed

I does sound more like a ticking rather than a knock. It's barely audible most of the time, but it's my everyday driver, so I'm able to detect the slightest changes in performance. It can be heard it pretty well while going up an incline like a driveway or parking structure. It's also very noticeable when driving next to median or wall as you can hear the sound reflecting off of the structure. Gonna do what Todd Z recommended and go from there.

How many miles on the engine? Any other abnormalities like coolant loss, engine oil loss/increase? If you've got noise that's hard to diagnose, I'd start with an oil analysis. I use sample kits from Oil Analyzers that are sold by AMSOIL, but there are others like Blackstone.

When I lived in Temple Valley, I had a friend with a Jag who would drive over the Pali about 60mph in second gear. He said that always fixed any ping in the engine. Or some Marvel Mystery Oil. We have hydraulic lifters so it should not be valve noise. Still, I like "drive like you stole it" the best.

After rereading your original post, it occured to me that it could be an exhaust leak also.

Ed

Latest posts