Kitchen Cabinets

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan gelb

Reaction score
Hello brothers & sisters was wondering if anyone has cabinet install

experiance. I am replacing kitchen cabinets myself, and have never done cabinets before

but i am handy and do work in construction so i think i got it handled

but anything in particular i should keep an eye out for .

I already removed cabinets just patching wall up now and had to sweat the valves back on last nite so we had water.

or if any memebers are local fort laud area and want to help we just went to penn dutch so plenty of steaks and beer

Mark out studs, Have long enough screws, Make sure the height is correct, and a nice level pencil line, or chalk ( if tiling only) the chalk will bleed through paint and wallpaper. Get 4-6 screws in each cabinet, and if you can, screw the cabinets together with short screws..

Good luck, It is not that hard...

Todd Z

Screw in pieces of 2x6's (2x4 is okay, 2x6 is better) horizontally between the studs at roughly the height of the top of the cabinets. Take a measurement from the floor to the center of the 2x6 and scribble it down someplace. Hang your drywall, then snap a chalk line around the room at that height. Now anywhere you sink a screw on the chalk line is good, you don't have to worry about hitting a stud dead center, and you can sink more screws.

Also, start with a corner cabinet and work out from there. And, when marking the height for the base cabinets, find the high spot in the floor along the wall, and use that!! Shimming is alot easier than trimming the bottom of the base cabinets.

I ended up with a filler piece at the end of one wall that was several inches wide. Hmm, idea. Took it plus a spare to a bud of mine who has a killer shop, had him bore some 4" holes in them and presto, instant wine rack. :D

Also I ran wires for under-cabinet flourescent lights before I hung the cabinets.

When screwing the cabinets to each other, often it is possible to remove the hinge on the cabinet box and screw the two cabinets there. When the hinge is replaced, there are no unsightly screws showing where the cabinets were attached. I ditto JohnnyO about mounting a hanging rail between studs. You will get a more firmer attachment since you can attach the cabinet in several places, not just at the studs.

On the subject of kitchen cabinets my wife and I are going to replace our old formica counter tops with new ones. Lots of choices out there. Granite, quartz, concrete, corian, and many more. I'd love to here from some folks that have any experience or preference with some of these materials.

Since you're in S FL, if your kitchen is on an exterior wall (like mine is) you only have furring strips for the sheetrock and not metal studs.

If it is an exterior wall you will need tapcons or the like to attach to the ABC.

TomT, Corian is warmer to the touch but lacks the design, motion and randomness of granite. Granite has a tremendous variety of "grains" and motion. It must be sealed periodically (annually or better). Quartz is very sanitary and does not need to be sealed. Quartz is reportedly as sanitary as stainless steel. Concrete most definitely needs to be seals. I have no experience with concrete. Tile is less expensive and can be done by yourself. The short comings is that the grout lines must be sealed and offers an uneven surface due to the grout lines. The harder materials, granite, quartz, etc. have a tendency to break ceramics and glass if the item is dropped on it or placed down too hard. I'm sure other people have other takes on these materials.....MikeC

There is a company that advertises here in the Philly PA area that may be nationwide called "Granite Transformations". They lay a custom-sized, 1/2" thick granite cover over your existing surfaces. It's hard to tell the difference between that and the real-deal (unless you look under the edge of a counter or an island) and its is a fraction of the cost and can be installed in a day. If something like that is available, TomT, I would cost that out first.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR, that's interesting. I haven't heard of that stuff. Unfortuntly none in my area or I would give them a call.

Latest posts