kinda wierd....

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woppy V

Reaction score
Took my rear wheels off to analyze why I had a vibration coming from the rear at higher speeds with my new wheel spacers on ~ and I think I might have figured out the problem.

I wish I had a picture to describe this... but where the wheel spacers rests on the wheel assembly there is a circular protrusion that sticks out about 1/16 out... However it varies on how far it sticks out. On one side it is just a hair or more than 1/16 and then on the other side it is practically flush with the rest of the wheel assembly. I'm guessing that when the 1.5 spacers rests on it that the spacer is magnifying this offset and causing the vibrations. If anyone can decipher what I am talking about do you have any clues on how to possibly fix this? Ty.

edit: tried drawing this...

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell you about the protrusion except that I would think it should be equal all the way around. When I pulled my spacers off, I found small metal clips ( one on one lug on each side of the truck. They were keeping the spacer from sitting flat.

Woppy...

Yellow or red ????

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

That is known as runout....

IF the surface of the rotor or drum is out of round, warped, rusty or dirty IT can cause a vibration.....

Todd Z

That is just where the rotor casting was faced off during manufacturing. I doubt if you have a problem with this. You could spin the rotor and see if there is any runout on the wheel mounting facing (yes, the casting might be crooked, but the mounting facing and the disk area should be true to the bearing races.

ALSO watch the tips of the lug nuts, it could indicate if the axle is bent..

Todd Z