kid's first car

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to pay for and maintain my first truck (a 97' ford ranger xly 4.0 4x4) by myself and honestly I think it's the best thing my parents could of done to teach responsability because they gave my brother car and he doesn't know anything about it and he beats the crap out of it...

[Broken External Image]:

I may have assumed you were paying for the car, but that was corrected....Its a loan, Great !! Who is gonna hold insurance and maintainance ??

As for the schools its soo true, but here is the differance. Your son has a great reliable practicable, car and he deserves it...

Todd Z

Our 19yo son bought his own car when he was 16, paid for it with a McJob he held since 14. As for maintenace, he pays as he goes, especially if "he broke it", and that has been the case. While he was off at college and couldn't take the car it sat in our garage and we used it a bit...not much, but a bit, and put new shoes on it for him as a Christmas gift.

He pays his own insurance, but it is under our policy (liability only). So far, no claims. The moment he has one we drop him. LOL.

TJR

TJR,

Congradulations on raising your son with some personal responsibility. That's how I was raised and that's pretty much how I raised my two daughters...but with different results. My oldest has the book smarts and school was pretty easy. She was always independent minded but seemed to lack common sense...She is now 44 years old and nothing has changed...:grin: She is a Tax Accountant for a local based corporation and does well, but still seems to have some issues with setting priorities (just my opinion)

My youngest daughter (now 39 years old) always struggled in school, but she always seemed to have the most common sense. She is currently working on her masters degree in education, and financially is making improvements dispite the poor economy.

Since no two kids are the same, parents to play it by ear and to be generous within reason, and yet make the best decisions to ensure that the kids will grow up to be responsible and successful citizens in later life.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts