keypad issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so i just had a locksmith unlock my trac for me after locking the keys inside and the battery dying. since ive been driving my brothers truck i havent even stopped to look at my trac.

so yesterday when the locksmith came over i noticed the keys on the keypad were missing! no clue how this happened but there was a strange guy wandering the neighborhood the other night and i think maybe he tried to break in to the trac. (forcing in the keys on the keypad?)

so anyway is there anyway to fix this issue of the disappearing buttons? im not looking forward to taking apart the door panel if i have to do that because im a novice when it comes to these things.

sounds like he broke the key back piece that bolts to the door....I don't think it is just clipped on....

are you 100% sure the battery was dead ??? Sounds like the truck went into safety..

Todd Z

locksmith was $45

i was out of town for a day and when i got back i couldnt get into the truck with the keypad. 2 days later the keypad is gone.

im sure the battery was dead because no lights would turn on when i got it unlocked and it wouldnt start so i had to charge the battery. this whole thing is turning into an investigation..someone may have tried to break in by forcing the buttons in. there is no damage other than that

I would try a junkyard or one of the site sponsors like fast parts network (remember to mention our site). I know they made (ford) a revision to the explorer keypads in 1999, but I don't know if the wiring changed at all. :huh:

It would not be to bad to do yourself you just have to pull the door panel as if you where putting in new speakers.

-I did a search on ebay for you but the keypads I found where all "add on" versions which are battery powered and are glued to the car. basically they are like wireless remotes except with a keypad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OEM-FORD-KEYLESS-ENTRY-DOOR-KEY-PAD-EXPEDITION-EXPLORER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem518c873649QQitemZ350250022473QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

-I always thought this keypad would be usefull if you had a power door lock on you toneau cover and you stuck this on the back of the trac.

-hope you find a replacement pad its one of my favorite ford features and actually was a consideration when buying my trac.

Don D.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to have to remove the door panel to investigate if or any damage inside of the door. The dead battery MAY have been caused by whomever screwed up the keypad.

Take it apart and see if the damage is only the keys or if it is the pad itself.

Pictures would be great in this situation too.

Tom

Latest posts