keyless entry

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Joyce

Reaction score
Is there a way to have my code changed through the dealer? I have a psycho ex-gf that knows the original code to my truck. I know I can change it myself but the original will always work too. At least that's what the manual says.

Sorry joycie, it can NOT be changed. The only way to change it is by changing out your PCM (your trucks computer). Like you are aware, the original code will always override the new codes you make up. I don't know if it is easy to do, but maybe Coastiejoe can hook you up with a used PCM and you could swap it out. I am not sure how you would go about finding the new door code from the used PCM though.

Good luck

YOU could allways unplug the door key pad from the inside of the door and just never use it again...

BUT you have to reprogram the module or replace it, I dont know if the dealer can just re program a new code...

Todd Z

Definitely the lesson learned here is never give out or use the pre-set code. Only give out your personal code which is easily changed.

The code is burnt into the chip of the Module. The PCM is not where it is stored. Job 2 and newer it is located behind the passengers air bag. The only way to change the ORIGINAL code is to replace the module.

If you don't have one already, put in a paging alarm system like the Viper 791 or newer model if it's out there. Well worth the money. The system will activate when the door keypad is used.

:angry::angry::angry: I hate dbag ex gf's! Even when your not with them they are trouble. Lesson learned. If I replace the module, is this expensive?

Do you really use the keypad?... I have used it only once in 4 years, and that was when the doors locked and I left the keys inside.... THAT would be a trouble if you have your pad disconnected tho... ;)

Another lesson learned. Don't use the factory setting... use the custom setting. That's always been my reasoning, due to the fact that it can be changed in situations like this. I've been through the "having given the code to someone psycho" thing, but never been worried about them actually using it! :unsure:

Do you really use the keypad?...

I use mine all the time. I have a lot of keys on my keychain, and don't like having them dangle from my belt or bulging in my pocket, so I lock them in the truck.

Someone said too much weight in the form of too many keys is bad on the ignition switch....I don't think I have that many though.

TJR

Any halfway decent car thief knows where to find hide-a-keys. I'd rather risk a dead battery than leaving a fully functional key for a thief.

If your battery ever goes dead and you need to boost it, and can't get into the truck because the keys are in it, the hood latch can be jimmied with an extra long screwdriver or bar. You have to lie on your back looking up at the latch. You can then charge the battery to use the key pad.

Don't ask me how I know you can do this :rolleyes:

Keep a "Slim Jim" and a 12 guage Shotgun handy, in your case.

Use wichever one of them you think you may need first for your personal safety

and convienience!!!:cool:

Latest posts