Key replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My used 03 FEST came with only one ignition key. Didn't think much of it at the time, just that I would eventually get a new one. Went to the Ford dealer today and found out that because I only have one key it will cost $26 for the new key AND $120 for the programing! The explanation was something like, "if you had 2 keys it wouldn't cost you anything because the computer system needs 2 keys to program a 3rd. With only 1 key, they have to erase and reprogram or something like that and the cost is $120 for the 2nd key and $0 for as many as you want after that. It must have something to do with security (stolen vehicles will frequently only have 1 set of keys) I don't know, I only feel that it's a RIP OFF!

You can also call around to the local locksmiths. After 3-4 calls, I found one that did it for around $40-50. All dealers in my area wanted at least $100.

When I bought my ST, it only came with one key and transponder. After calling around to the local dealers. I said to hell with it and bought a blank and two transponders off of ebay. Guess what? I took the blank key to wally world to have it keyed and I programmed the transponders myself with the provided instructions.

The dealers are full of it.

1 blank OEM key. $27

$4.99 to have it keyed.

2 keyless entry transponders $33

Did you get it used from a dealer?

If so, go back to them and politely complain, if nothing else, you will get a discount...

gatorrich,

You are aware the blank key you got cut will not start the vehicle if it has not been programed?

Tom

Caymen,

The dealer said that as well.

I use that key every day to start my truck.

The dealer also said that the only way I would be able to use the keyless remote was to have it programmed to the keys. Which meant if I bought a remote, I would have to buy a key to match it and they (the dealer) would have to program both of them to match.

All I know is that the OEM blank I had cut and the two remotes work fine.

You must have an alarm to bypass the PATS system.

The key will not work unless it is programed. The remote is easy to program, the keys are not easy to program unless you have two of them.

Tom

gatorrich please get this figured out for us because if what you are saying is true it goes against all we have been told and would be a great cost savings to us. I am currently in the same situation. I have two transponders, one programmed key and two cut keys but not programmed. Anybody got a solution for me beside paying the dealer $120.00?

Thanks Todd for the link - at least I was able to read the bad news rather than just hear it from a Ford dealer. At this point, I'd also like to hear from anyone who has successfully programmed a new key with only one working key. I bought my FEST from a private party who couldn't find the 2nd key. Had I known then what I know now, I would have had them discount the truck $150. It's interesting that when you purchase a new car you only get 2 keys and are not particularly encouraged at the time to get a 3rd or 4th at $26/each in case you lose one. I guess they hope you will work with 2, lose one and be forced to pay them the $120 for their 5 minutes of "work". Do other makes require this same 3rd key nonsense? If so, I feel like calling into one of the radio station consumer lines and asking them to warn everyone to add keys while they can before they lose one.

I am having a hard time understanding how gatorich was able to do what he says based upon what we have all seen and been told, I have all the keys I need for now but certainly interested in further info on this.

Geraldo as for other makes no all do not require that you have two previous keys GM (or atleast Buick's for sure) only require that you have one key or transponder to program additional ones, I just did this a couple weeks ago with my wife's new Rendezvous.

Geraldo,

A good locksmith will also be able to program the keys. Members have already told you this once.

I don't know how else to let you know.

Tom

Well, I think I know how my key is able to work.

Due to a DUI, I had to have one of those inter-lock devices installed on my truck. (have to blow in to it before starting) I called them up and they said they had to bypass the PATS system.

So I guess when this thing comes off in 2 months, my key I had cut will be worthless.

Latest posts