Key Chime keeps dinging with key out?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
What's up with my Trac? The key chime dings all the time, even with the key out. Dinging stops when I start it up, but it starts dinging when I shut it off.

2010 Limited 4x4 V8, 47,000 miles

Instrument panel light burns out last week, now this! Maybe time to trade for a Colorado or something... :angry:

It just stared doing this? Mine has always done that I think. I'm going to guess its something with the ignition switch possibly.

If the parking lights turn on when you open your door, like most newer cars and trucks do, I suspect there's a diode or relay shot somewhere in the circuit. It might be a control module that's gone bad.

Put spray lube on the key, run it in and out of the ignition a few times.

Todd Z

the switch likely has worn contacts. with the key out while it is dinging, tap the outer housing where the key would go. Dinging stops, you just need a new switch

Have you determined, for sure, which reminder dinging it is telling you about? On most vehicles, the ding to remind you the keys are still in the ignition is different than the ding to tell you your lights are on when you open the door.

I mention it because you mentioned a problem with the dash lights recently. It may be related.

Just a suggestion.

I have a 2003, which does that! All I have to do is wiggle the switch without the key inserted and it stops. Something worn to the point I can get the key out when I shouldn't be able to.

I have a 2003, which does that! All I have to do is wiggle the switch without the key inserted and it stops. Something worn to the point I can get the key out when I shouldn't be able to.

Also how many keys do you have on your chain? An excessive amount will wear out switches.

Todd Z

Recently I stumbled on a thread that showed a small blue clip under the key cylinder. In my truck it's broken so I don't have the chime. However if you remove the Colum covers you can see it. I would check that first and make sure it's not binding on anything.

Lubed the key and haven't had the issue since. (Knocking on wood.)

Only thing on my car and truck key rings is the fob and a house key. I don't use a key chain decoration or pouch. One of the reasons I divorced my first wife was the huge 1/4" steel 6" diameter hoop and 50 keys on her key ring.

Latest posts