Just upgraded my DSL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
I went from 5 down / 1 up to 15 down and 3 up. Got a deal, only 10$ more a month. What kind of speeds are you guys running?

[Broken External Image]:

23910fc134d81b8d8e247f0bf4874ab2.png

This is the max (3.1/7 mbps) with Verizon and their crappy, outdated phone lines. My area isn't set up for FiOS, which is the upgrade.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
After running the test there is a button right underneith the results that says "share this result" after clicking it, you get the option for url or forum, leave it on url, copy the url then put it between the img tag.

[**img**]URL PASTED HERE[**/img**] (remove the stars)

6eec4b6f3a24fc301c0b8124d1761b73.png

This is what the piss-poor Time-Warner cable speed looks like. I guess I will run it again later after some cleanup.

JD, Bob.... I wish I had cable,,, "much more better/faster" but living 14 miles from town this is the best I can do... Better than Hughes Net I used to have

I work from home, don't have cable/sat tv, my only source of electronic entertainment is dvds, and internet so I bumped up to one of the higher speed tiers offered here. I'm very happy to be back in a house, when we were waiting to close on this house after our cross country move we ended up living in our RV much longer than planned and they only internet access we had was questionable 3g tethered cell service, it was terrible.

I have Time/Warner Cable's cheapest Internet service which runs about 5 Mb/s download and about 0.4 Kb/s upload. Slow compared to what you guys are getting, but that works fine for me since I don't really need anything faster, and in my new neighborhood, it's the only Internet service available here. I am able to download NetFlix streaming videos without and delays during the movie. Most movies start within 15 seconds of hitting "Play"

I have recently gotten some flyers from a company called SkyBeam that has some form of Wireless Internet but you have to have them come to your house to test for clear receptions before they can promise any particular speed, and you have to put a small dish antenna on your roof (but it's not satellite) My best friend who lives about 5 miles away has SkyBeam and they have an antenna located on a water tower less then one half mile from his house and he claims they provide very good service...but I don't know what speed they provide or if they have other antennas in the area closer to me?

...Rich

I had about 11$ worth of BS options on my home phone, so I stopped everything but caller ID and long distance. Saved 11$ and increased my dsl by 10$,,, so I'm 1$ AHEAD! :banana:

68331a6c48688376934d56d783a76ffb.png

We have a wireless extender that we get signal from my wife's parents' house about 400 yds away. They have Charter Cable and we just get a wireless signal from them. We have to keep the tops of the trees short in a direct line to get the signal across that distance but we're still not visible to each other.

We also use a Slingbox from their house connected to a tv they never use in a guest bedroom so we get our television through the wireless as well. We are able to watch live tv seamlessly through an old laptop connected to the tv.

It's not exactly "stealing cable" if the neighbors give it to you.:D Considering the distance and being wireless, I'm very happy with our connection speed.

Now, our cellular service, Verizon...could be better but considering where we live and having a metal roof, it's pretty good. We occasionally have to go out to the porch if we get bad service but that's not a big deal. It is our only phone lines, though.

Using Comcast Cable:

Desktop wired computer

22.67 Download speed, 10.24 Upload Speed, 5 Ping MS

Cell Phone, same internet, wireless

19.97 Download Speed, 14.97 Upload Speed, 17 Ping MS

Hugh, we have Verizon too and live 12 miles in the country surrounded by trees. We could not get any working signal at the house unless we went to the front of the driveway 800 ft away. So this is what we have and now we have 4-5 bars ALL the time. Verizon Wireless Network Extender

[Broken External Image]:

LaRue, thanks. We actually do have network extenders. One at their house and one at ours. We normally have good service but occasionally have issues. I think it has more to do with the roofing than anything. We actually have had 4G for a while, too! Verizon has by far been the best cellular service I've had.

Wow, I just checked my Internet speed with Time/Warner Cable...its 23.52mbps download speed and 0.98mbps upload speed. Not anywhere as fast as most of you guys are getting, but it still works OK for me. I suspect that speed may vary depending upon how many people are logged on when I'm connected, so I think at prime times in the evening, speeds are probably slower

I suspect that Time/Warner is doing what they did at my old house....When other Internet Service Providers started moving into the area where TWC was the only service, they kicked up their speed or they would lose a lot of accounts to the competitors who offered higher internet speeds at the same or lower price.

...Rich

Latest posts