Just Curious

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ BRANDT

Reaction score
I have recently retired and have been interested in the Ford Sport Trac for quite some time. However, I get the impression that the Sport Trac is no longer in production. If this is true, when was the last production year? Why was it discontinued?

Regards, T.J.

The removal of the full frame on the explorer and the new uni-body POS explorer also trashed it.....

and for spending no money on advertising, and raising the prices of vehicles, they never thought to keep it alive..... So like soo many other awesome vehicles its done..

Todd Z

Funny how they say lack of sales of the ST. I rarely saw them on lots used or new for sale. There a tons of them driving around where. Yup, I beleive too that Ford just wanted to push the F-150 more.

I do like the F-150 I but don't need anything that big. Especially as a commuter car and having to park in a parking garage with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It mostly boiled down to the fact that they didn't sell enough of them to justify developing a pickup version of the new Explorer. Most of us here woulde argue that Ford didn't advertise the Sport Trac much either.

As it is, my Trac barely fits in the garage. An F-150 wouldn't even fit in my driveway without hanging out over the sidewalk.

Ford never advertised or promoted the Sport Trac except for a passing shot in a generic Ford ad.

I think the Explorer-Firestone fiasco about 11 year ago was the nail in the coffin. Dispite the redesign of the Explorer, the damage was already done and sales began to slowly decline.

Of course, Ford did not help by never doing any advertising for the Explorer or the Sport Trac. I was amazed at the number of people who never heard of a Ford Sport Trac??? How does Ford expect to sell vehicles when so many people do not even know they exists???

....Rich

I love my Trac! A little preventative maintenance and we are still happily rolling along. I wish they were keeping it so that I could get a new one next year, but then again, I sort of like being unique.

Its amazing how much first gens sell for used though, they sell quick, and when I was searching for mine, ecerywhere I went, all I could find were 10k-15k tracs, with anywhere between 130k and 160k miles. Im not sure if its quite the same with 2nd gens, because they're still "new"er, but after talking tto a bunch of used car dealers about it, it almost seems like, (to me) that if ford had just improved on the first gen platform, instead of changing to the 2nd gens wider, larger platform, maybe it would have sold better. Jmo.

I don't want to start a riot, but it got killed off in it's second generation for a reason. I think it is because it was becoming less utility and more Camino. A third generation would have been a full blown car with a bed, more than it already was.

The V8 was a nice upgrade and should have been present in the first gen. Other than that and good looks, I am not surprised by the demise of the Sport Trac.

Hugh, your right the gen 2 became more luxury and less utility. The IRS was a mistake. The comercials of the first 2 years. Placed it as utlity and off road. With on road manners and some creature comfort. Then thet quit advertising it.

Someone @ Ford screwed that up. That doesnt mean I dont like the gen2. I just prefer the gen 1.

The Gen 1's are a lot more rugged for sure, the Gen 2's are a lot more, sporty? Is that the right word? haha

And does anybody else get pissed off on the inside when you see a new explorer!? I do! God they're ugly as heck

I've had both. They both have their pros and cons. The Gen 1 is definitely more "trucky" but when it comes to overall features, utility, and especially ride and handling, the Gen 2 wins hands down.

Well, yeah, cars have a better ride and handling. Features are just another word for distraction, IMO. I need a radio and that's about it...oh, and the back sliding glass. As far as utility, it depends on what you need out of it. The Gen1 has way more utility for me since I spend time offroad. I don't really need the non-lockable bed compartments.

Don't get me wrong. I like the styling and engine choices of the Gen2. It just got away from the things that attracted me to the ST in the first place. More or less, a shorter wheel based F150 Crew Cab.

Latest posts