Joining the GEN2 ranks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all...a couple weeks ago or so I asked for advice on a 2007 Sport trac I was looking at and giving up my (beloved) 2001 that was just turning over 234,000 miles (previous post titled "Should I?"). Based on the much appreciated responses and the fact that the 2007 didn't have the power rear window (though the dealer offered to have and after market power slider installed), I declined the truck and decided to keep my 2001 for awhile longer (no problems with it, just a lot of miles).

Well I guess I caught the "bug" becuase a few days later I checked on line to see what might be out there in the 2007/2008 range that had what I needed (4x4; power rear window; and class III hitch). Lo and behold a newly listed 2008 4x4 XLT with 35,000 miles, class III tow package, White Suede in color and a V8 to boot popped up at a dealer about 3 hrs. away. Asking price was $22,495.

So I took a trip over to take a look at it (just a "look" mind you!). Ended up buying it for $20,500. As much as I still enjoyed my 2001, driving with the V8 convinced me it was time to upgrade. WOW what a difference! Its Certified Pre-Owned plus I added their bumper to bumper premium care package to 125,000 miles (or 7/2015). It also has the convience package, the xlt appearance package, class III towing package, and the premium front power bucket seats.

I'm not wild about white but its definitely growing on me! I hate that the exhaust exits on the driver side and the gas fill is on the passenger side but just a matter of getting used to it I guess. I had to do a couple of quick mods: 1) fill the space behind the rear seats when the backs are down becuase thats where my 3 (yes, 3) labs ride. A piece of closed-cell foam cut to fit solved that one. Also I had to add the Gen1 type tie down cleats (got them at a boat store) to the tops of the Gen2 cleats becuase I use them for my dog's leashes. I was able to simply screw the cleats into the tops of the existing Gen2 tie down cleats.

I've got a topper on order for it (definitely a bummer that my 2001 A.R.E. cap won't fit) and once I get the K&N filter, mud flaps, bug shield and windor vent visors I'll have it personalized to my liking.

With extra leafs, bilstein shocks, bigger sway bar, and road active suspension, my old truck was stiff and drove/rode like...well, a TRUCK! That's all gone now...for better or worse...this one feels more like a luxury car. Hard to get used to how quiet it is inside...virtually ZERO wind/road noise when driving. If it can go another 8 years and another 200,000 on it like my old one then I'll be very pleased. We shall see! Towing my camper is really going to be a breeze with this thing.

Funny how "attached" some of us car "nuts" can get with our vehicles. I definitely miss my old truck, but I have to say its only when I'm NOT driving the new one!!!

Steve

Glad you are happy with the Gen2, hopefully you'll get over 200k on that one too!

Enjoy!

btw, I got the white suede limited, blue was my first choice, but I really like the white.

not too many of them around...

Well, I'm "wintering" this year in Florida but the rest of the time I'm in upstate NY. So "white" seems to be the color of choice here in Florida...lots of white vehicles everywhere, for obvious reasons I guess. Would have loved a blue one as well but it is what it is and it really does look good.

Steve

Congrats! I really wanted a white Adrenalin, hope you enjoy it. And it looks like you got a really good deal. If you want a set of mudflaps, I still have a complete Husky set off my 07. Used but nice. Make me a fair offer.Shipping extra See the link.

No problem Steve. I actually forgot that I had them until I read your post. I think you got a killer deal on yours, because I got almost that much for my '07, and I sold it direct to a dealer, not a trade. The toppers are pricey, huh? I still need to get mine repainted and on my 2010.

Yeah I was happy with the deal. Took some tense back and forth though and they finally came down to my final offer after I got up and was walking out the door!

I wanted the same A.R.E. MX cap that I had on my 01 but it turns out they don't make it for the Gen2. The only one available is their top of the line Z series...over two grand! Same deal with Leer. So I found another dealer and getting a "Ranch" brand for about 1200. I'm promised that the quality is the same and hopefully it will be. Much better price though.

Steve

Steve, Did you trade the 2001, or did you keep it? If they only gave you $1995 trade in, I bet someone on here would have loved to have it for that price.. Just Curious..

BTW.. My 2001 has 143K on it.. I hope mine goes the distance like yours did. :driving:

Dave...I traded it in and they gave me $3600. for it. Far from what it was worth considering the shape it was in (flawless actually), despite the mileage. If I was back home I would have tried to sell it locally but since I'm in my temporary quarters here in Florida it would have been just way too much of a hassle. In fact I might have considered keeping it if I had been home. But then again 4x4s back in NY are 2 or 3 grand higher than they are down here. A ton of sport tracs down here but few with 4x4.

Steve

Awesome man...

AS much as I LOVE my 2003 and loved my 2004, I must say I love the 2010 just as much....

Never thought I would..

Todd Z

Yes, Gavin, no doubt. Though I was totally pleased with the 4.0 as far as power even when towing my camper. Spent some time in the turtle lane going over the rockies on my trip out west and back last year but other than that it was great. But the added pick up and go of the 4.6 is definitely nice.

Steve

Welcome to the ranks of refined utility vehicles! :supercool:

My '07 was a Florida car and, sure enough, it's white. Not my first choice of colors, but it does tend to keep aggressive drivers a lot more reserved since it has that "official vehicle" look to it.

I went from an '05 to an '08. Ride and handling on the Gen 2 is vastly better. Downside, I'd rather have a limited-slip than traction control.

Yup, I miss my limited slip as well. Plus my 01 had a 3.73 gear and the new 08 has a 3.55. Better for mileage I guess, but I can definitely tell the difference.

The 4x4 auto is different too...there is just something weird about my truck deciding when it needs traction to all 4 wheels instead of me!

Steve

Latest posts