Its dead :(

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, after 230,831 miles, my 2001 ST gave it up :( She died under the 5th runway overpass at ATL airport. I found out that the police (Homeland Security) are not happy with folks that stop under the runway....d'oh! Anyway, I sold it to another ST fan that was looking for a project. It was sad to her go as she was the perfect truck for what I needed and she served me well. This was the first breakdown ever! I haven't posted for a long, long time but still lerk from time to time. Hope all of you are doing well (now, off to shop for something new).

I think there are a few in swap and sale. I would think a member took care...of theirs more than a used lot trade in.

With those miles, I would say it was the Timing Chain. Thats what happened to mine last year when I hit 189K.

Robbie,

We must live and work near each other. We have the same year, mileage, route to work.

It started to over heat a couple of weeks earlier. Added some coolant (no leaks found) temp was fine and then on the morning it died, steam was coming from the thermostat housing area. After towing, letting it cool down, etc., it would turnover but not crank (definitely appeared to be the chain).

That's very brutal. My ST is around the same age, though at ~90,000 less miles, and as far as I know still original timing chains.

As much as I love my ST, I could understand getting a different vehicle. When all the major SUVs are now advertised as 26-28+ highway MPG, and full-sized trucks like the F150 get more MPG than the ST, it doesn't make sense to get another one unless you really need one. Already I'm at the point where the savings in gas I would have gotten with a 30 mpg vehicle over the ST would have allowed me to buy a used car which could get 30 mpg (though not counting any repair costs). If I didn't still need the ST & have sentimental attachment, I'd get a car again. It pains me to say this, but maybe even a FWD car. :throwup: :sad:

I found out that the police (Homeland Security) are not happy with folks that stop under the runway..

IIRC there was an incident a year or so ago where some moron "terrorist" loaded an ST with explosives and tried to blow some building up. Thankfully the explosives were fake as it was a police sting to bust the nutjob (the cops gave him the fake C4), but it was still an ST he chose, again IIRC. Remembering that, did you get much flak from the DHS guys?

Latest posts