It gets stiff in cold weather

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavin Allan

Reaction score
My Trac sat outside all weekend. Started it up this morning @ 4 degrees F. It turned over a little slower than normal, but started right up. Lots of clattering from the engine compartment for a while. Steering was very stiff, and transmission shifts into D and R were very much delayed. However, she soon warmed up and runs like a top! I was kind of expecting the battery to be weak, but it wasn't.

I am thankful I don't live where it gets cold in the winter...

My ST is 14+ years old and I still can't find the block heater plug. I can see the heater, but can't find the plug.

-30 Celcius here this weekend, my 08 Adrenalin sat all weekend, not plugged in, and it fired right up this morning and was used to boost an 02 F150 and a 99 VW Jetta that couldnt handle the cold!

the 2001 ST that sits in my driveway (owned since 2002) has always started and I have no reservations about it. Iowa is not the Artic Circle, but below zero happens almost every year.

My job requires me to leave home at 2:00 A.M. W/O fail the ST want to jump in and go to work.

This is why I have this Ford.

P.S bought it as a salavge title, bad wreck that destroyed the transfer case and all else behind that.

Dennis, I live on the east side of Des Moines. Like you said, not the Arctic Circle, but it's as close as I care to be. I might be willing to live in Ames, maybe. Mason City, no way!

My vehicles all sit outside, and almost never fail to start. My ST has started every time in the 2 years I've owned it, even at -10 F. The 94 Explorer before the ST only failed to start once that I remember. -18F and it wasn't started the day before. Had it been driven the day before, it probably would have started that day. Fortunately, the Aerostar started and got me to the job interview that got me my current job.

I've only had Hickory Park once, when they catered the food for a school function, but I know a lot of people who love to eat there and do so regularly. My wife and I were in Ames for a conference one Saturday and went over there, but the parking lot was full and there was a line to get in as I recall. We didn't have time to wait. Obviously good food! Parking lot is always crowded when I go by.

Latest posts