Is this true...a little annoyed.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I bought an 07 without a tonneau cover...so I ordered one from the dealer. They assured me that it could be keyed to match my truck. I dropped it off this morning to have it put on and they took both my keys to make sure they both worked in the lock on the tonneau. I just picked it up and they informed me that they tried to change the lock cylinder to make it fit my key but that the new covers have sealed lock cylinders and there is no way to change them. If this is true why would Ford do that? The only reason I bought it from the dealer in the first place is because they told me it would be keyed the same. Another key is not that big of a deal, but the dealer also told me that Ford stopped making the power rear window due to safety issues so I don't know whether I should believe them about this.:(

My 07 tonneau cover locks do not maatch and it came with it insstalled,,,,,,,,,,and they did lie about theee power rear window

The power rear window is now an option. Just a way to squeeze more money out of our pockets.

The rear window is available....

Here is apic...

ALSO I stated almost 3 weeks ago the cover has a seperate key....

The dealer is just not informed on the new changes...

[Broken External Image]:

Salesman tend to run thier mouths abut things they don't know.

Remember when the Sport Trac was cancelled due to slow sales? What year was that? 2002? 2003?

Tom

Yeah, salespeople don't like to say that they don't know something so they give it their best guess.

I was looking at an 07 yesterday and he told me the tonneau cover was counterweighted to open easier. Same thing with the tailgate. I told him it was done with a spring/torsion bar and he didn't believe me until I showed him.

Moral: Take what salespeople say with a grain of salt.

My ignition key fits the tonneau cover on my '07. And I'm pretty sure that any competant locksmith can get the pins in the lock cylinder to match the ignition key. I had it done on my old '01 tonneau cover.

The 2001-2005 keys fit the tonneau cover. I'm sure the salesmen just assumed that the 2007 would be the same way. You may think that the salesmen should already know that, but those kinds of things are often not included in the brochures and sales videos Ford sends out to train the salesmen on their new products.

...Rich

I know that the power window is available, that's why I don't believe them about the lock. It was service though, not sales that told me they tried to change the cylinder and that it couldn't be done because the cylinder in sealed so there is no way to manipulate it. Also, the only reason I let them install it ws because they told me they could make it keyed the same, they charged me nearly $200, if I knew they couldn't change the lock I would have done it myself.

Just another thing about salesmen...I already wanted my trac (employee family discount) but he kept trying to sell me on it and didn't know anything about it...case in point, and I quote, "The bag in the middle removes, that's why they call it a SPORT TRAC!" :blink:

The very first '07 that arrived on the lot here at my dealer had a factory cover, but the keys didn't work in the cylinders. We order new cylinders (which have to be built to the key) and everything worked fine. Maybe something you need to take up with the service department.

MK ..... The "other" Mark

I ordered a new cylinder last year for my '01 and it came in many pieces in several bags. There were five plates ("tumblers") in five four bags.

After determining the correct keying, the lock is assembled with the last piece being the stainless cover (it has the round hole in it and holds the hole flap in place). The cover is held on by bending four small tabs around the back of the lock body.

I do not know this for sure with regard to the '07 Tonneau lock cylinders, but I suspect that the stainless cover is held on in the same fashion and that it can be removed, so that the lock cylinder body can be disassembled. There is some spring tension, so be careful to not loose parts.

You'll need a set of the plates, for each lock, so that you can match your key. If you're lucky, you can rearrange the existing plates and it'll work-out, but this probably won't work. The plates came with my lock assembly, but there may be a part number to order them separately. I'll check when I get home tonight and post back after the weekend.

Tumbler part numbers (for tumblers one through five):

322261AA1B002

322262AA1B002

322263AA1B002

322264AA1B002

322265AA1B002

There are four of the same tumblers in each of the five bags. There are six tumblers in each lock cylinder (positions 3 through 8). Each tumbler requires a spring (Part# 46969 something).

I scanned the instruction sheet; it's in my library.

I was once told about "sealed" locks by a Toyota dealer and they wanted me to buy a complete lock set. I purchased a new door lock and took it to a locksmith who charges me $25.00 to re-key it. Not so sealed after all.

The '07 ST OEM Tonneaus are not keyed to the ignition whether you buy them factory installed or dealer installed.

Sorry they charged you $200 to merely screw in 4 strikers and set a tonneau on top of them. Since the tonneaus are no longer keyed to the ignition, the entire kit should come to the dealer with the cylinders already installed so your $200 installation job took them about 10 minutes...a LOT less time than the older versions that needed to be keyed.

I'm sure it could be keyed to the ignition but I wouldn't waste my money at a dealership, try a real locksmith. You can remove the cylinders yourself by spreading the wire clip in the housing below (don't remove the clip, just spread the legs), and pulling the lock cylinder straight out from above. When you're ready to put the locks back in, just push in until you hear the "snap" of the wire clip engaging into the lock cylinder.