Is this a Craigslist Scam?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Cat

Reaction score
I sent an email to this guy who was selling a brand new Apple 23 inch display and a brand new G5 Quad Powermac for $1300 total on craigslist. These two items are worth almost $4000 total. This gave me a clue right here.

When I got back an email from him it said this:

As I al ready said, we'll go through the eBay Shipping Center for the delivery and payment as well. I need to communicate your info (full name and shipping address) to eBay and they will notify you about everything: payment, delivery, insurance, etc. Once, again, shipping costs are free, because the UPS reservation was already paid. When I have your info I will set up the delivery details with your address.

And in a previous email he said he was away in nigeria that is why ebay was taking care of it for him.

All of this doesnt seem to be right to me and I have never heard of ebay or ups doing this before. What do you all think?

Scam? :wacko:

Scam.........

I have sold and bought things thru Craigslist and did not have any problems but i would report him first and let them deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know guys, maybe we're jumping the gun with this scam talk. I mean, Enduku Omebabu seems like a pretty honest guy. Come onnn... what is a social security number anyway? I mean, it's just a bunch of numbers.

:D

HAH Nigeria. Those friggin Canadians think they're cute with their scams and their waterfall.

Ebay would never get involved in that way without it being a Listed ebay Auction that was open to the entire ebay membership. FLAG that craigs list post so others dont fall for it!!

Our local consumer advocate, Clark Howard, is embroiled in a PR war with Bank of America over a similar scam that originated on craigslist.

A guy was selling two bikes. He gets a Bank of America check from the would-be buyer, goes to a Bank of America branch, asks the teller if it's legit and will it bounce. Teller indicates the account is valid and has funds to cover the check. He cashes the check. He's then arrested right there at the bank, as the check turns out to be a forgery. He's charged with forgery and spends $14,000 in legal fees clearing his name.

Clark Howard has offered to pay half of the guy's legal fees if Bank of America will admit its acted heavy handedly, admit error and pay the other half of the fees. Bank of America won't budge, insisting they acted fairly.

Clark Howard has been telling all of his listeners to penalize Bank of America by going elsewhere, and many have responded.

Scam or not, I'm not sure you want to make that purchase.

G5 Quads are nice machines, but the new MacPro blows them away. I wouldn't buy any Mac that doesn't have the new Core 2 Duo chip in it (Or the Xeon, in the case of the MacPro), or you'll fall behind in the near future as native software shifts to the new Intel chipset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never trusted Bank of A, or any of the "new" banks that have popped up right and left. I barely trust my old solid bank, but they've rarely given me an issue.

Latest posts