Is there a way to black out my tail lights?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kody Prothro

Reaction score
Hey everybody, Kody again. I'm sorry I've been asking so many questions and all I'm not trying to bother anybody or upset anyone I'm just a new member and I'm trying to find out how to do certain stuff to my truck that I haven't seen under the projects section. Once again sorry if me asking questions is bothering anyone.

Does anybody know a way I can blackout my tail lights without actually buyin new ones. Any and all ideas are welcome.

Thanks everybody

BLACK Gen 1 Tails available from Anzo #211087 ($144 pr.) or JDM #THL-41912 ($80 pr.)

Both are D.O.T. approved. Only know because I ordered a pair from Ebay recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might want to try window tint film. Most are designed to go on the inside, but it's cheap enough to remove or replace if it starts to look tattered or if you change your mind.

Since it comes in varous grades of darkening, you can try different levels of darkness without completely blacking out your lights or attracting too much attention of the local police.

Most states require that your taillights/brake lights be visible from a distance of 300 feet. So as long as they can be seen at that distance, there is no excuse for someone to rearend you. If your state has laws reqarding tinted taillights, then you might be given a ticket, but that will not excuse the other guy from running into you.

...Rich

i sprayed mine... maybe too dark haha i got pulled over a few weeks back cuz when they glar apparently they cant be seen...

the cop thought they were covers tho :p

erm like 3? lol

but they were slightly tinted when i got them...

now they look... BLACK haha

i love it...

i still need to wet sand them and polish tho...

both...

here are mine...

[Broken External Image]:

used nightshade on the red reflector on the side because it looked ridiculous...

still shows up when light hits it tho

just need to get brighter bulbs

Nightshades works great, recomend you remove them and spray them laying on the bench as it tends to run.

Do to coats first, 3 gets real dark, when your happy clearcoat them.

I did everything on the stang,untill I got a $300 fixit ticket:(