Is it me?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickey Luis

Reaction score
I have an 2003 Sport that basically is identical to the Sport Trac from the dash to the front bumper. I have the 4.0 SOHC and noticed I needed an belt tensioner after noticing it bouncing like crazy. I also noticed wear on the idler pulley. From doing a search here on this forum I came up with the suggestion of putting the Dayco 5060860 belt and Gates belt tensioner. I decided to go with the suggestions.

I got all three new parts (belt, tensioner, idler pulley) and had no problem with changing the tensioner and the idler pulley. I tried my best to get the new fan belt on but even with the tensioner fully clocked downward (no tension) I couldn't get the belt on. It literally was just a hair too small and I gave up after a hour of trying. I then placed the original belt back on temporarily that is slightly worn but still good. It slide into place easily and the tensioner was about half way in the middle looking at the marking.

What I like to know, "Is it me?" Did I do something wrong? The suggested belt which is only a half inch different from factory original size, but somehow just didn't fit. Everything I read here says it will fit so I'm stumped. I got the belt off of Ebay so returning it is not the easiest thing. Any advice is appreciated.

Re-check the routing of the new belt (it's the little things that'll get you).

FYI - use the OEM belt with no squeaking or problems (on my third at 225,000 miles).

Many have installed 1/2" shorter belts without issues. The 860 series belts are stock length on V-6 2007-10 ST's.

Effective length specs are from the Dayco and Gates sites. Wait for Eddie, he's using the 5060860 Dayco Poly Rib.

Dayco 86.02" (5060860) Poly Rib

Gates 86.08" (K060860) Micro-V

Goodyear 86.00" (4060860) Gatorback

Last edited by a moderator:
My first thought was also just as Yardsale suggested. If you don't have the routing exactly right, you can easily see what you are experiencing. There should be a sticker in the engine compartment that shows you the correct routing.

I then placed the original belt back on temporarily that is slightly worn but still good.

Quote:

I then placed the original belt back on temporarily that is slightly worn but still good.

Repetition does not equal accurate. But, under no circumstances, should one double-check oneself.

Thanks for the replies guys. I did follow and double check the belt path and idler pulley to ensure it was aligned into the ribs of the belt. I also used the sticker on the engine compartment to be sure I wasn't somehow placing the belt in the wrong pattern. I hate to concede and go back to the standard oem size belt.

If I recall correctly (and I often do not), those who went with the smaller belt did so because they had issues (typically squealing) with the standard size belt. If you did have problems related to the size of the standard belt, I suspect that you will not.

So, this just popped-in to my mind - are you sure that both the tensioner and idler are the correct part? If either are slightly larger in diameter or offset by much, it might be the difference between the two belt sizes fit. It would not be the first time someone was given the wrong part.

Yardsale, actually I did measure the idler pulley against the old one and they were the exact same. I didn't do the same with the tension pulley and only eyeballed it, and it looked the same. I'll think that's a very good idea and I'm going to measure it.

I been busy doing little odds and end around my home and just got back to changing the fan belt. Yardsale, I think you were right on the money about the belt tensioner pulley being just a hair different. I went to measure the old tensioner against the new one and then realized I threw out the old one. I then just put on a new fan belt (original size) and it was a tight fit but went on fine. Thanks everyone for the input.

Latest posts