Is driving a privilege or a right?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob Dryer

Reaction score
I know all our parents told us it was a privilege. But seriously how do you view it? I'll put my 2 cents in after a few other posts.

IMHO is definitely only a privilege that should be granted only to those who have demonstrated a competent ability to drive safely. Now, after saying that, it is also true that in many areas of the country it is a necessity to be able to drive. And also I have seen quite a few whose license I feel should be revoked.

It is definitely NOT a right.

It's a priveledge, and I know this because the California DMV told me so in the letter they sent me because of my speeding tickets! lol

I'm with Bob inasmuch as I think you need to be able to prove that you are capable of driving a vehicle before getting a license, and there's WAY too many people out there who haven't done such. At NO POINT do I think it's a right for anyone to have a driver's license. You need to earn the priveledge.

Meh, it's kinda moot point.

A privilege is a right.

A right is a privilege.

Perhaps the point is "is driving an inalienable right" that should be protected by the Constitution? To that, I say no, it isn't an inalienable right. Driving should be highly restricted and tested and only granted to those individuals that maintain a good driving record and are physically capable of driving safely. Driving a car should be controlled more. It baffles me why people who have dozens of driving offenses, DUI/DWI, etc. are still allowed on the road.

I definately agree that it is a privilage, and not a right. Below is a quote from the California Driver Handbook 2008.

"Basic Information

A driver license shows that you have been given permission by the state to drive on public roadways.

You may apply for a driver license at most DMV offices. (See page ix.)

If you have no outstanding actions on your record, you will receive a license after you pay the fee, correctly answer questions about the law and safety rules, show that your physical and mental condition is satisfactory, and demonstrate your ability to drive safely. If you have a medical condition or a disability, DMV may require you to take a driving test and/or present

a statement from your physician regarding your condition.

A person must be at least 21 years old to drive most commercial vehicles for hire in nterstate commerce and to transport hazardous materials or wastes."

Tiger is correct. It is both. See definitions below:

privilege - 6 dictionary results

priv⋅i⋅lege   /ˈprɪvəlɪdʒ, ˈprɪvlɪdʒ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [priv-uh-lij, priv-lij] Show IPA Pronunciation

noun, verb, -leged, -leg⋅ing.

noun 1. a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most: the privileges of the very rich.

2. a special right, immunity, or exemption granted to persons in authority or office to free them from certain obligations or liabilities: the privilege of a senator to speak in Congress without danger of a libel suit.

3. a grant to an individual, corporation, etc., of a special right or immunity, under certain conditions.

4. the principle or condition of enjoying special rights or immunities.

5. any of the rights common to all citizens under a modern constitutional government: We enjoy the privileges of a free people.

6. an advantage or source of pleasure granted to a person: It's my privilege to be here.

7. Stock Exchange. an option to buy or sell stock at a stipulated price for a limited period of time, including puts, calls, spreads, and straddles.

verb (used with object) 8. to grant a privilege to.

9. to exempt (usually fol. by from).

10. to authorize or license (something otherwise forbidden).

right - 15 dictionary results

right   /raɪt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [rahyt] Show IPA Pronunciation

adjective, -er, -est, noun, adverb, verb

adjective 1. in accordance with what is good, proper, or just: right conduct.

2. in conformity with fact, reason, truth, or some standard or principle; correct: the right solution; the right answer.

3. correct in judgment, opinion, or action.

4. fitting or appropriate; suitable: to say the right thing at the right time.

5. most convenient, desirable, or favorable: Omaha is the right location for a meatpacking firm.

6. of, pertaining to, or located on or near the side of a person or thing that is turned toward the east when the subject is facing north (opposed to left ).

7. in a satisfactory state; in good order: to put things right.

8. sound, sane, or normal: to be in one's right mind; She wasn't right in her head when she made the will.

9. in good health or spirits: I don't feel quite right today.

10. principal, front, or upper: the right side of cloth.

11. (often initial capital letter) of or pertaining to political conservatives or their beliefs.

12. socially approved, desirable, or influential: to go to the right schools and know the right people.

13. formed by or with reference to a perpendicular: a right angle.

14. straight: a right line.

15. Geometry. having an axis perpendicular to the base: a right cone.

16. Mathematics. pertaining to an element of a set that has a given property when placed on the right of an element or set of elements of the given set: a right identity.

17. genuine; authentic: the right owner.

noun 18. a just claim or title, whether legal, prescriptive, or moral: You have a right to say what you please.

19. Sometimes, rights. that which is due to anyone by just claim, legal guarantees, moral principles, etc.: women's rights; Freedom of speech is a right of all Americans.

20. adherence or obedience to moral and legal principles and authority.

21. that which is morally, legally, or ethically proper: to know right from wrong.

22. a moral, ethical, or legal principle considered as an underlying cause of truth, justice, morality, or ethics.

23. Sometimes, rights. the interest or ownership a person, group, or business has in property: He has a 50-percent right in a silver mine. The author controls the screen rights for the book.

24. the property itself or its value.

Driving is a privilege. Your ability to drive can be taken away by the entity that grants the privilege, therefore it cannot be a right. A Right by definition cannot be undone or revoked by anyone. A right is something that every person is born with.

Driving is a Right... oh boy... :wacko:

Woppy V,

You have the right to bare arms, or covered arms, that's your indivdual freedom of expression and therefore covered under "free speech" in the Constitution.

You also have the right to bear arms as defined by the Constitution, which allows you to own a gun.

;)

There is no right to drive guaranteed by any law. Therefore driving is a privilege.

One of the litmus tests for a "right", as described above by some, is that it is "inalienable." If it is, then most would say by definition it is a right.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Regardless of a "right" or a "privilege", there are still laws and requirements that must be met and maintained. Just as your license can be suspended or revoked based on your driving record and other factors, your right to bear arms can also be revoked based on your criminal record. Both are meant to try and keep the citizens safe from those who have shown they are capable of handling their "rights" or "privileges" responsibly or sensibly.

The question isn't so much about a right to drive as it is about is it a right to drive on public roads. You have a right to drive -- on your own property in your own car. You can do that all day long however you want. You do not have a right to drive on public roads -- to do that, you must meet the requirements set forth by the government. In that case, it is a privilege to drive on public roads.

Mike-

You wanna rethink your statement?

As defined by the Constitution, you have a right to bear arms, a right to vote, a right to freedom, but, if you should, I dunno, be convicted of a felony such as vehicular manslaughter, all of those rights are taken away.

A right can be taken away just as easily as anything else. The word "right" does not mean it is granted all the time under all circumstances. A "right", as typically thought of as presented by the Constitution, is a "freedom" that you are born with, something that isn't granted specifically by a law, rule, or regulation. However, these rights are regulated and can be taken away. You can't vote unless you're 18 (and not a felon), you can't own a gun unless you're 18/21 (and not a felon), and you can be locked away for life, have your freedom taken away if you do something that goes against the laws of the land. All of these are rights by the definition of the Constitution.

In this context, privilege and right are wholly inclusive. If it isn't, define "the privilege to drive" without using the word, or definition of, "right". It's difficult at best.

If you are given the privilege of driving, you are given the right to drive (so long as you follow the laws).

If you are given the right to drive, then you do so at the privilege of the governing body that gave you that right.

<hr>

Really, it can easily been seen as a right from the perspective of the driver, and a privilege from the state, if you're going to separate the two definitions.

Tax payers have a right to use the roads and facilities that their tax dollars pay for...it's one of the reasons why there are taxes to begin with. Since that is my, your, and everyone else's money, we should be able to use the road in a legal and reasonable manner.

However, the state (federal, county, city, etc) government does not have to provide a road if they don't want to. Or, they could provide a road for the sole purpose of government vehicle use. But, they allow everyone who is in accordance with the law, to use the road. They grant the privilege of road use to the general populace. They reserve the right to take that privilege away.

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR - I agree that the Right to drive isn't defined in the constitution and should not be considered a Right by law. I was just trying to simplify my opinion that it should be a Right via comparison... In my eyes having the right to own a fire arm makes less since than only having the privilege to drive. But that is my eyes. I already know that a ton-o-people will not see the same way I do. No Pitch Forks Anyone! (lol or weapons :p) Just covering my tracks a bit.

Driving is a privilege. Your ability to drive can be taken away by the entity that grants the privilege, therefore it cannot be a right. A Right by definition cannot be undone or revoked by anyone. A right is something that every person is born with.

THe right to bear arms can be taken away from you, i.e. Some if not all Felons!

Latest posts