Is driving a privilege or a right?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pq7rqmgUcDo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pq7rqmgUcDo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No I'm a good law abiding citizen.

At first I thought like many of you that it was a privilege, but I did some research. This discussion came up on another forum that I'm on, so I started digging.

I'm not sure how credible the link is below, but they make reference to court cases to back up their argument.

I'm sure like many things in government/personal rights issues that while "technically" it may be a right, try to fight it and you will lose all day long. The article linked below basically says that it is a right, and we all give up this right by getting a drivers license. I think it's one of those things that could really be argued quite well in either direction, but by definition is actually a right given by the constitution.

Let the arguments and discussions begin :blink:

I would have said right, since if you get pulled over and are arrested, the cop doesn't say he's going to give you your Privileges.....they say......they are going to read you your Rights....

"you have the Right to remain silent"

"you have the Right to an atty"

geeze, that's getting pretty technical... like MTURocks said sure you have the right to drive on your property...

but do you really own your property (in allodial title)?

Do you really own your car (with the Manufacturers Certificate of Origin)? or do you just have a title, which the government issued you in place of the MCO, in which one can argue that technically you are just renting the car from the government and paying rent in the form of personal property tax?

If you ask me. I think to have to continually pay for any liscense renewal is a form multiple taxation for the same thing you already paid the tax on. We need a revolution. A Boston tea party wont get it this time...:lol:

eddie,

i will give you a perfect example of multiple taxation for the same thing.

bob buys a brand new car. bob pays sales tax.

bob sells the car to sally. sally pays sales tax.

sally sells the car to joe. joe pays sales tax.

joe sells the car to mary, mary pays sales tax.

this is ridiculous.

btw, a drivers license is a privilage. unless you are driving a toyota, than it is a right :lol:

Mike,

Good video clip. Of course, the instructor/prof lost all credibility when he said:

I think that all of the problems that we have in the United States are based on the fact that Americans no longer understand the differences between rights and privileges.

TJR