Iraq war hampering tornado recovery efforts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill V

Reaction score
Thought some of you might find this interesting...

I'm opposed to the Iraq war, and to Bush and the Republican leadership in general--but even to me, this reeks of political gamesmanship, at a time after a deadly tornado that it is quite tasteless to do so.

Whats even worse is some Democrat is proposing limits on how many children you can have, because children are to blame for Global Warming.

I saw that on the news. While it is tragic what the tornadoes did and the recovery effort has to be tough, I think it is another opportunity to boast the viewpoints of people who are against the war. If that happened in our town there would not be enough recovery vehicles and it wouldn't have anything to do with the war.

She seems to misunderstand the purpose of the National Guard. Disaster recover is a secondary duty. The primary duty is to defend the US from it enemies. :(

I think New Orleans taught us that if you have to rely on our national government for help then your pretty much screwed. State and local governments need to be more proactive and not whine to Washington every time something goes wrong.

Nelson, you can't reason with the liberal pussy movement.

JFC, it's just several localized areas that were devastated, it's not like 24 major cities were obliterated due to terrorists activity. Tornados happen in Kansas, they should be prepared for that at the state level.

Hire local contractors with state money to get rolling. Or else go the American route & whine...

The National Guard falls under the governer's control, not the president's control. How it's SUPPOSED to work, is the active duty military goes out to fight wars, the reserves augment that with support duties, and the national guard is used at the state level to help with disasters and fill any holes domestically. There has been such a strain on the active duty with fighting 2 primary wars (when the manning can barely handle 1) that it has forced the use of reserves AND guardsman to not only augment with support duties, but to actually activate and fight alongside the active duty component in the wars.

No state's national guard is at the capacity to deal with full scale natural disasters such as the tornados in Kansas (which is what the national guard is trained for) because of the manpower issues described above.

The major problem is our nation is at the maturity level that they are fighting wars with expensive technology. While the technology is a considered a force multiplier, there still needs to be warm bodies to do the stuff that technology can't do. And with all this, it costs a lot of money to do it. I won't ever claim to have the answer to this problem, but it does need to be fixed and very soon.

Hmmm... I wonder when they're going to pass out the $2000 'gift' cards? :rolleyes:

22 years ago, if this happened (which did in my town, just not quite this bad), the Governor would say, 'Well, that sucks. We'll help where we can. We'll take care of the search and rescue (which the neighbors would have already started) and other things like with the roads and utilities. I sure hope that you had insurance".

Now it's all about the Fed's comming in and saving your ass.

Personally, I'm not counting on the Fed's or any other Goberment agency to help me. It's my responcibility to take care of my family first and my neighbors second.

The first stories that I heard that came out of Kansas were that people were praying during the 'nadoes, then when it was over, they got to work looking for anybody who needed help.

Compare that to Katrina (yes, it's a LITTLE bit different)... the first stories you heard were about people getting pissy that the Goberment didn't get to them within minutes.

I'm not sure where exactly "NATIONAL GUARD" says in their name DISASTER RECOVERY, but according to some, appearantly it's in there. I understand they have dozers, helicopters and medics. Most are trained in warfare first and foremost.

It should also be noted that the Goberner of Kansas has a (D) next to her name, so it didn't really surprise me that she made such a bonehead statement like she did. I hope she realizes that most of the National Guard equipment that she pined for is US Goberment Property, not the property of the State of Kansas. Twit.

In my opinion, there is a rather large difference between the New Orleans flooding issue and this issue with the tornado.

First, let me make it clear that they were and are both devastating. In the case of New Orleans, they had heads up notice. To some degree, they had a LARGE amount of notice as well as had many opportunities to leave the area. That said, I know not all could leave and not all would leave their homes. This was in some cases by choice and in some cases as they had no choice.

Those that had a choice should have left the area as there was no misdirection of what was coming their way. By not leaving, the death count became a very high number. Yes, all they owned was destroyed. Where I live, you can not have a home your paying for if you do not carry insurance to cover the home in the event of loss. The situation there seems to be different. Either the owners were lying about having insurance to the financial suppliers to their loans or for some reason it was not needed.

The tornado's were a total shock. In the latter case, I have more compassion for those individuals.

I definitely have more compassion for the Kansas victims. The people in New Orleans were just a bunch of idiots that have spent their whole life having the government do everything for them. I just wish they would go home so our crime will go down in Houston.

There are people throughout the entire U.S. that are letting the government help them get by, not just Louisiana. Natural disasters are just that, natural and we can't stop them.

Kansas - Highest number of F5 tornadoes since 1880

I wouldn't want to live in New Orlean because of the potential for flooding. I wouldn't want to live in tornado alley either for this purpose;).

I hope to live another 38 years in Kansas. The closes tornado I have come close to was an F5 that came within 10 miles from me and killed 17 people back in 1991.

C, just FYI, as of February, there is no longer any such thing as an "F5" tornado. The "F" scale has been dropped--in favor of the new "EF" scale.

I am aware, I wrote a paper about it in my Meterology class. I was just quoting the site:). Thanks for pointing it out.

In the long run, which scale is used really doesn't matter--if you get hit by a bad one, it either "F"s you up, or it "EF"s you up. :D

Latest posts