Ipod help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08Red STA

Reaction score
Now that I have my aftermarket deck installed and has Ipod connect, I am looking into get an ipod (I think Im the only one left w/o one). Anyways, I wanting one for mainly music, some pics/videos, and possibly some movies. Any suggestions on which is the cheapest that accomplishes all my wants?

The cheapest one that does everything you want would be the iPod Nano. They start at $150 and they are basically just like the iPod Classic, only they don't hold as much music, movies, etc. The only thing that may be a problem would be the screen size. All iPods are able to be hooked up to a TV with A/V ports, but the size is what kept me away from them. I have what they now call the Classic, and I haven't looked back since.

My work computer wont allow me to view their site (and many others) so thats why Im asking. Thanks for the tip. I have heard of the shuffle too but believe its only for music. If the only difference between the nano and classic is the screen size for alot less $, why else would anyone buy it?

Yes, the shuffle is only for music. The difference between the Nano and the Classic are the screen size and the amount of music, movies, pictures and other information they hold. If you want to watch movies on your iPod, I would go with the Classic, the screen size of the Nano is way too small to watch on. Also, if you have a lot of stuff you want to have at your fingertips, the Classic would be a better choice. The Nano only holds up to 16GB of your stuff, while the Classic holds 120GB. It really depends on how much stuff you want to put on it. And the Classic is only $100 more for 112GB more space.

Does sound like a better deal, or atleast value for the $. Thanks for your help. Im hoping to find one @ a good price this Xmas w/ all the economy issues.

For the money you would be spending on a Classic, I would say that it is a better value. But just to make sure that you are getting what you want in an iPod, check out Apple's site and get the tech specs for both the Classic and Nano, and read some reviews about them both. Get a feel for what you would mainly use it for, how much stuff you have to put on it, and maybe even look at a friends to see if it is what you want. Happy hunting :)

Ive done alittle research on em now and I believe the classic is the way to go. But Chris can u tell me what the difference is between the zune and ipod? And do they take the same connections? I already have the ipod connection.

well with the ipod you HAVE to use Itunes....Which I absolutely hate. the zune can use any program out there. There are a few other programs that the ipod allows you to use but there even worse. I like the controls better on the zune too. they are touch sensitive as well as push button. The zune is a little less sensitive as well which helps when you have it in your pocket. Here's is an idea for ya. Go to BEST BUY, ask the sells rep if you can give each one a try. and ask him what the pros and cons are for each one. this way you can feel and actually see how each one works and which one is right for you. If you like the ipod, take a look at the ipod touch. that thing is pretty bad ass. its pretty much an iphone with out the phone and a few other programs. let me know what you end up going with.

The iPod Touch doesn't have near the hard drive capacity of the iPod Classic. The Classic can store 120GB, the Touch only 32GB.

Chris, where did you get your information from? >BOTH< the Zune and iPod use proprietary software. With both you can look around and find alternatives if you don't like iTunes or the Zune Software.

My personal pet peeve with the Zune is that when Microsoft released it they discarded their "plays for sure" DRM that they had used up to that point. Left a very bitter taste in a lot of people's mouths as the new Microsoft player could no longer play any music you legally bought from Microsoft before. Basically any money you spent on music got thrown into the trash :angry:

08RedSTA: Some things you might want to ask yourself are:

1) Do you want flash based or hard drive based storage? Hard drive is larger/cheaper but is a moving part. Flash is more expensive but is solid state. (Almost any brand will offer both)

2) Do you want to use it as a portable hard drive? Some models (Such as all the Zunes or the iPod Touches) can't be used as hard drives. (Other brands and iPod Nano / iPod Classic can be)

3) Do you want a built in FM radio? (Zune, Sandisk, others, but not iPod)

4) Do you want any accessories for it? Cases? Clock Radios? Speakers? The vast majority of these are iPod only.

5) What about other features? Check email? Browse the web? play video games? podcasts? Do you plan on taking it jogging? Do you need a waterproof case?

6) What OS do you run? Linux? Windows? Mac? Zune only works on Windows. iPod only works on Windows and Mac. Sandisk and some others will work on all 3.

Whatever you choose, have fun with it.

In my family, we have 2 Nanos, 1 Zune and Creative Zen products.

Since I'm in charge of adding music to all of them, ease of use is paramount.

I prefer the Zen Creative line of stuff for ease of use.

But the kids seem to like the Nanos.

But for my use, I just load up a 2gb thumb drive with 6 or 700 songs, plug it in the USB slot of the Trac's Sony head unit and I'm good to go for several weeks.

It also has a iPod connection, but I've never used it.

Latest posts