Internet Security question????

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
I have done a total restore as well as added 2 gig of RAM to my computer.

I am interested in your thoughts as to a good internet security program.

I can get Macfree for free and have 1 year left of my Norton if I care to download it.

I have no issue with spending some money, so free is not a requirement.

Just curious as to your thoughts....

Thanks in advance...

I think either is perfectly fine as long as you have the virus definitions set to be updated weekely. I have used McAfee and Norton with little to no problems in the past on all of my computers.

Does your ISP offer a program? I have Charter and have been happy with thier security suite. It tends to hog some recources at times, but I like it for the parental features on my kids computers. I think with the service I have, I've got 3 or 4 licenses included. On my PC I pay for Avast. Been really happy with that as you don't even know it's running until it flags something.

I've used AVG-Free and was very pleased with it. When I was in the Navy, I was able to use both McAfee and Norton, and they're both good packages. I'm now using McAfee that I get for free through my employer.

Trend Micro (PC-cillin) here. Never had a virus since I started using it a few years ago.

We used AVG Anti virus full package here along with Instagate firewall. Works great.

AVG is hard to beat for the price (free) for your Anti-virus protection, and you can download Microsoft's Defender to take care of any AdWare/SpyWare, and it is also free.

...Rich

I use System Mechanic Professional

Has all sorts of built in pgm's to keep your system running like new, a firewall, virus protection, etc.

I've been using it now for over 6 years.......You can install it on three systems for their one time fee.

I hate AVG. it sucks. Picked up two trojans and a worm using that free POS. Now I use PC-cillin which is provided with Bellsouth DSL. It's awesome. No issues in two years so far. :cool:

I use Kaspersky.

Independent comparison of most popular AV apps

<a href="http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report20.pdf" target="_blank">

http://www.av-comparatives.org/seiten/ergebnisse/report20.pdf</a>

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that aren't interested in reading the link.

NOD32 won their highest award.

Norton/Mcafee/Kaspersky under that

and then AVG under those.