Intermittent stalling problems with 04' XLT

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an 04 XLT 2WD, all stock, with 151K...have never had any problems other than routine wear and tear. However, about a 6 weeks ago I was at a stoplight when it stalled...first time ever. It started right back up but then stalled as soon as I put it back in gear. Had it towed to a trusted shop and they couldn't find anything wrong...nor could they get it to repeat the problem. Took it home and it happened again the next day. Again at a stoplight after highway driving. Exact same symptoms...but interestingly I tried putting it in REVERSE and it did not stall...only when I put it back in drive. So after I pushed it to a parking lot and was contemplating calling for the tow truck, I tried it again and was able to drive away just fine. I went straight to same shop to get it checked and again same results...no codes, couldn't get it to repeat, nothing.

So I hesitantly kept driving and had no issues for about 4 weeks, then it happened again twice in the same day this past Friday. Both times at stoplights after highway driving. This time I again just sat there for about 5 minutes and was able to drive away each time after letting it sit.

So it's been 4 more days and no repeat problems...but clearly something is wrong and I can't keep driving around worried it will happen again.

I'm not mechanically inclined but do trust my shop...what could they have missed? Any ideas? Anyone else ever experienced this?

Thanks, Greg

I suspect that it's the IAC valve (Idle Air Control). It's prone to getting clogged up with crude and needs to be cleaned from time to time. Check here under "Projects", there are several postings on how to clean the IAC.

There could be other problems, however the IAC is the most common and the easiest and cheapest remedy you can do yourself...and probably the first place to start.

...Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Could also be the Torque converter clutch is hanging up or there is a Bad TTC solenoid.

Todd Z

Really appreciate the replies guys, thanks!

After doing a bit of research it seems that similar symptoms have also occurred when the TPS sensor is bad...thoughts on that?

Do you have a CEL light on?

May have to hook up a scanner and drive the truck and see what faults out.

Todd Z

Faulty TPS will almost always throw p0121-123 or p1120-1125 trouble codes.

Ford Explorer - Ranger TPS Test Procedure

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2349296

Last edited by a moderator:
I would suspect the IAC Idle Air Control valve. It happens often for this engine. Three times for me, so far, since buying my ST new in 2000.

It is very easy to remove the IAC. Spray some carb cleaner in it, wipe it out, see if that helps. Costs practically nothing. Or go ahead and order a new one from RockAuto, because if your IAC valve isn't bad now, it eventually will be.

How long since you changed your fuel filter? You mention that problem seems to go away after engine is off for a while. A possible cause could be debris plugging the filter under pressure, but same crud settles to bottom of filter when engine is off. Fuel filters are inexpensive and reasonably easy DIY job, though you need to take precautions for eye protection and working with gasoline. If you have it done, expect about $50-60 charge.

My Bronco II did something similar. Took me all summer to find it because it was so intermittent. It ended up being a fuel problem, namely the connector at the inertial switch. One of the pins was not pushed all the way in the header thus losing contact.

To solve, I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and ran it thru the hood. I was able to see the pressure exactly when it was happening. Once I saw the drop, it was simply a matter of tracking it down.

Good luck.

Latest posts