intermitent air

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod denton

Reaction score
ok! guys did a road trip to soap lake wa today and on the way back to tacoma wa my fresh air was set to max blue on the dial and speed was at 1 the air would cut out as if i was turning it off and on

any idea of what would be making this happen ??????

I've got a Gen2 Trac, but when my AC system acted up it was the fan controller. My DIY fix is posted in the Project section. Your Trac's system is different, but has a similar piece for the fan control. It's just a matter of studying the schematic to identify it. Just to confirm though - you did say fresh air and not AC, right?

rod,

You need to clarify your statement: "The air would cut out as if i was turning it off and on".

Are you meaning that the Fan would stop blowing any air, or do you mean that the Fan was blowing, but the air was not cold? Those are two completely different issues.

If the Fan intermittently quits blowing, it's probably a Fan speed controller problem.

If the Fan is blowing, but the air is not cold, it may be low on refrigerant causing the AC to cycle on and off.

A third possibility is that you have a vacuum leak or a leaking vacuum motor that controls the temperature blend doors in the heater box behind the dashboard. This would show up when accelerating and vacuum pressure drops, the door could shut off access to the cold air and you feel warm air from the outside vent. Then when you return to cruise or close the throttle, vacuum increases and the door to the cold air opens you feel the cold air again

This is very common on some vehicles even without a vacuum leak. Some vehicles have a WOT (wide open throttle) cut-off switch to the AC compressor to release the clutch on the AC compressor. This is typically on smaller 4 cylinder engines. Also some engines do not develop enough vacuum while under moderate acceleration and you will feel the cold air cut-off and you will often hear a change in the sound from the fan even though it did not change speed.

So a little more clarification about your problem and exactly when the symptoms occur would be helpful in identifying you problem.

....Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh air and not AC, right?

AC is ok going on theroad today and i will gather more information I will check blower motor to see if it is running constant and investigate the vacuum leak

Last edited by a moderator:
at 60 with ac off fresh air only temp dial at blue max to the left and speed dial was set 2 and 1 : the air would juststop blowing during acceleration of cruise control was in use

looks like
A third possibility is that you have a vacuum leak or a leaking vacuum motor that controls the temperature blend doors in the heater box behind the dashboard. This would show up when accelerating and vacuum pressure drops, the door could shut off access to the cold air and you feel warm air from the outside vent. Then when you return to cruise or close the throttle, vacuum increases and the door to the cold air opens you feel the cold air again Richard L

seems that a vacuum leak is where i will start > what do ya think