Interesting Benifit With Zabteck Modified Throttle Body!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
So I recently removed my Zabteck TB as it is sold and I'm trying to get some stuff together to send to the buyer.

With the Zabteck unit on the vehicle with the K&N FIPK there was almost no whistle at all.

With the OEM TB and the K&N FIPK....it whistles whenever your foot touches the gas pedal! Really damn annoying.

I reinstalled the TB just to make sure that was the variable that changed the amount of whistling. It was.

Unfortunently, messing around with this has delayed my shipping a few products to the buyer but I wanted to be certain before I posted here.

In Summary,

If you have a CAI, especially an K&N, get the Zabteck TB...you will remain sane.

LOL, Yeah i was able to remove the whistle on the Gen 1 TB too........

As for the K&N noise, Even in their installation instructions it says for you to "enjoy the new power and NOISE !!!!".....

LOL

Todd Z

Sounds as if the gen2 oem TB. Has too restrictive of throttle plate at idle. Which nonthing can be done as the idle is controled by the drive by wire, not an IAC.

There is no whistleat idle since the throttle plate is mostly closed. So it's probably the throttle plate mounting hardware since that's all that's really different with the Zabteck unit. Never-the-less...that small change increases the flow enough to deminish the whistle from the K&N unit.

The two mods complement each other perfectly.

This problem drove me nuts for the longest time, I kept filing away at the TB, as Todd had recommended at the time. Finally I bit the bullet and bought a used Zabteck TB.

Whistling gone, sanity restored.

Carey,

I wonder if it would affect the idle on the gen2 oem TB. If a 1mm hole was drilled in the throttle plate.

That is how ford eleminated the whistle, and idle problems, on the early port FI 5.0L. I did this mod on my '88 t-bird. I rebuilt the motor to speed density 5.0L HO specs+. When buying salvage parts I got an earlier TB. It also helped my idle with the speed density ECU. Texas didnt get the MAF 5.0L until '89. MAF HO 5.0L was california only until '89. I stayed with the speed density ECU with a piggy back chip. I had to change the firing order and the injector wiring order. The 5.0L HO has the 351 firing order. Was easier than reharnessing for the MAF ecu. Or I was lazy.:bwahaha:

But the idle was controled by the IAC.

So it might create an idle issue on gen2. It would be intresting for someone to try it. The 1mm hole could be pluged with a screw, and dremeled smooth. If it causes an issue.

FWIW, K&N CAI with Green conical filter and ZB TB -- whilstling dixie for as many years as I have run the setup. Never really cared either way. :banana:

Latest posts