Interceptor

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are some nice 3D images! Almost looks so real! From what I can see no actual car has yet been built. Seems like a good concept, however not sure how they will make it priced similar to say a Charger or a Crown Vic or Impala cop car. With the limited production numbers and all custom made, not sure how it will be cost effective.. Great idea though!

I just posted about this a week or so ago and have been following it for a little while since it started showing up in all the public safety/law enforcement magazines. We are all wondering how they expect that they will be able to keep the price competative with that of a Crown Vic, Impala etc. There are some very interesting ideas that they have, one of the most interesting things has nothing to do with the appearance, it is planned to be a diesel Im surprised they didn't already do that with say the crown vic for police and taxi cabs.

Caught my attention with the title of post but I was thinking Honda Interceptor.

Would love to have one. I have an ST1100 & a GSXR1000, BUT...an Intercetor would fit real nice between the ST and the other bikes.

Sorry to interrupt...

Carry on...

Yes, it does bring back the Judge Dredd memories. Is there such a thing as a bad B-rate SciFi/Martial arts movie? Of course not :)

Though when I think Dredd, since seeing it on Encore Action, I also think motorcycle. Though I don't think Honda.....even though the Honda Odyssey is a great vehicle the Civic Stigma is just repulsive.

I need to get mahself a motorcycle.

Why would you want diesel? It may be "more efficient", but it costs more, and diesels seem to have sucky acceleration....if cops wanted fuel efficiency, they wouldn't be using the CV any how.

I've always wondered why cops need an "interceptor". If your villain is fleeing on a road where you can go fast enough for the interceptor's speed to be required, the road would be an interstate or major state/us route, and would have too many cars for the fleeing car to be taken out without massive collateral damage. The CV, though it is a manly body-on-frame steel beast, can't take down a lot of the larger vehicles anyhow.

If you're fleeing on an interstate, you're an idiot and deserve to be caught anyhow.

Tangenting, does the old police movie tactic of crossing a border to evade the Law actually work? If I am in county A, and the Law tries to get me for some reason, will they have no legal power across the line when I hit County B, or not?

Does it work with states? If not, did it ever? Or did "classic" (cough) driving movies such as Vanishing Point lie to me?

I've always wondered, and there are police here who know. Don't worry--if my law abiding self ever breaks the law, you won't need a spiffy Dystopian B-Rate scifi car to intercept me--the CV stock cop car can get my ST. :)

What's happened to the latest Dodge cop car offerings? I thought they were the latest thing in high speed pursuit, with a 160 mph top speed.

Oddly enough, that Carbon Motors body shape is very similar to the Dodge.

Overall diesel should not cost more, it should cost less, and thats the whole point, they have been studying what departments want and have had many requests for a diesel. The acceleration should have little to do with what it burns for fuel but rather the engine and drive train.

As for the a "need for speed" for police cars there are many rural roads that you can go at fairly high speeds if necessary and also interstates and and primary roads are not clogged with traffic 24/7 in fact many highways, especially in rural areas, have little traffic outside of the prime travel times. Except for peak travel times most of the interstates in my State are very free flowing and practically empty at night. A lot of the reason for police to have fast cars is just the psychological effect on people. If all cops drove around in 4cyl cars that top out at 85mph then everyone would know they could run and get away with it. This is the same reason I am strongly opposed to banning police pursuits as then the criminal will know all they have to do is run to get away. I am very much for officer using a lot of discretion in deciding to pursue or not, I my career so far I have been a part of way more pursuits that were terminated by the officer(s) decision then were continued.

A CV is a very good vehicle for "taking down" other vehicles but obviously it does not take down non passenger vehicles. A properly executed pit manuver with a Crown Vic can take out most any of the normal passenger cars, trucks and SUV's, on the road today but officers use more discretion when deciding to try to pit larger vehicles.

I cant speak for all areas but here and I imagine most anywhere crossing a border does not work to evade, but I am surprised by how many people think that and try that. Back when I worked for one of the local municipal departments almost weekly I would have someone drive across one of the town lines trying to avoid getting stopped. As soon as they realized I followed them over the line they would stop. Some would even tell me thats what they did. The violation I was stopping them for occured in my town and I could follow them anywhere and everywhere to apprehend them. It works the same with counties and states. I now work for the county and we have had pursuits start in our county and go all the way to the southern parts of our state (a couple hundred miles) and had pursuits come from down state into our county. While generally speaking other jurisdictions with "take over" the pursuit when they can we can continue the pursuits for as long as we must. The only exception is we can not cross into Canada and since my county is on the border this does happen to us a couple times a year people will run across the border on us. I imagine it is this way in most places, I think very few actually require their officers to stop at the line.

Im not sure whats up with the Dodge Chargers, they were being touted as the greatest thing but very few departments in my state have them, I only know of two or three at this point. I really liked the looks of them and the 4cyl/8cyl engine to conserve gas sounded like a good idea.