Intake/MAF sensor/TB/Tranny issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Klinger

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the confusing post title, but I am not afraid to admit that this is above my automotive knowledge, so I figured I'd cover my bases, hah.

Just wondering if any of you have experienced this or a similar situation...

I'm running an 07 Ltd 4x4 with the 4.6L V8, 6-spd auto, K&N 77 series intake, Zabteck throttle body, and a custom 3" catback exhaust. Around the 2200-2500 RPM range I hear a VERY loud drone coming from the engine compartment. The other part of it is that the tranny is not shifting at the right time. I understand in talking to one of my mechanic buddies that the MAF/TB electronics talk

to the transmission to tell it "when" to shift. Is this right? I'm not seeing any idiot lights or other issues which point towards one specific cause. I had the "Tranny bump" TB done last year and *knock on wood* have had ZERO occurrences since.

I talked with Todd Z. about this and he had me pull the neg cable to wipe the adaptive learning. No luck there. What are the chances something with the MAF sensor needing cleaned or something with the TB mechanics?

Everything else is very much in order with the exception of when the engine is in that 2200-2500 RPM range. And with the gearing and, the roads i travel, and my driving style, the engine spends A LOT of time there.

HELP! :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a posibility the K&N has left some oil on the MAF. Use contact cleaner safe for plastics and wash the wires inside. Be gentle. Also you can buy cleaner for the MAF now at pep boys.

Try the Dingo method with the battery cables. Disconect both. Negative first then positive. Touch the cables together. Then reinstall.

As I said, I feel the engine computer is at its max threshold and can not compensate well enough for all the mods....

You could remove 1 item at a time and see when it goes away and then switch the items..

Or i feel an Xcal will fit it...

IT could also be harmonics from the exhaust and intake...

Todd Z

XCal is already on order ;-) In the meantime, I will try what you guys suggest.

At first I thought it was just the growl of the intake and exhaust, but the thing is is that it's quieter at lets say 3K RPM than at 2250-2500. It's just those 250 RPMs that seem to be the trouble spot.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason, in my experiance that rpm level is the growl spot for most cars and trucks with upgraded exhaast. I think you will have to live with it.

Latest posts