instrument cluster

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Keefer

Reaction score
hey guys puzzling question. My sister's 05 ST instrument cluster is on the fritz. the gauges stop working, the digital screen either says check gauges or goes in to a dotted line mode and the check engine light comes on. It does it for like few minutes and starts to work again and the engine light goes off. is it a ground issue, relay, oris the cluster going..???? I gave her the computer to try and catch the code it throws but hasn't done it yet since.

Test the battery and check ALL connections first. These trucks are known for strange electrical issues and intermittent behavior when bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2004 recently started doing this. Usually on start-up the odometer shows dashes and cluster shows the check engine light. In addition, the engine temp gauge, speedometer and tachometer do not work. When it works, everything returns to normal. If I hit a bump, the speedometer and tachometer freeze in place and the odometer stops recording mileage. The gas gauge and battery gauge work. Although the check engine light shows, the computer does not record or throw a code.

I suspect the solder joints on the rear circuit board for the cluster are failing. It's a common problem for F-150s of the same era. It's fixed by removing the cluster, checking the joints, and resoldering. It's on next weekend's project list. If that doesn't fix it, the solution is a new cluster (and programming to match your mileage). I'll probably just replace the ST. It's 11 years old. :sad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just following up on this topic. I removed the cluster and checked the joints. All are fine. The issue is somewhere within the grey harness plug on the circuit board. If I apply some pressure or lightly wiggle it when installed, the gauges come back. Eventually, though, they fail. You cannot disassemble the cluster beyond removing the plastic cover. It appears the needle mounts are glued on. So, the only solution is a new or used cluster. In that case, you will need to have the mileage reprogrammed or take it to a shop that will place a sticker on the door noting the mileage change. Given the ST's age and condition, and that it will need brakes, rotors, tires, and possibly some front suspension work to pass inspection, I'm replacing it. There is no need to put a one or two thousand into a five thousand dollar vehicle. I'll miss it -- and probably never will own another vehicle that was as good to me as it has been -- but c'est la vie.

I have this exact same problem. My mechanic has pulled the cluster several times, says it works fine when tested on the workbench, but upon reinstalling it I get intermittent flashing/failing. Pushing on it fixes the problem. Any solutions? Guess I can just keep on driving it.

instrument cluster

I have a 2004 Sport Trac. Just turned over 101K miles. I just started having the same instrument cluster issue Tach, speedo, temp gauge stop working, check engine light comes on, odometer becomes a series of dash lines. Starts working again, stops working, starts working again. Is there a definitive fix. Also, I have intermittent window function. Replaced the window switch module. No change. works, stops, works again. Looking for a definitive fix here too Any suggestions? Todd Z, perhaps you can weigh in on this? Thanks. AJH

Todd, thank you for taking the time to respond to my query. I take it this is a problem that has surfaced with the older model Sport Tracs. Is there any information already posted regarding the careful removal of the cluster? I do not want to damage it going in. Also, do you have any insight regarding the intermittent window switch failure I mentioned? Its not the switches as I changed the switch module. Is this too an issue that crops up on the older model Sport Tracs? I have owned mine (a silver XLT) since it was new and have no intention of getting rid of it. It should also be noted that it has been given what would be considered "rough use" having spent at least a third of its life off road in and around my horse farm. It has been incredibly reliable, especially compared to certain GM trucks that I own. As always, your help and advice are greatly appreciated. Andrew

It can be related, the dash runs weird things, on the expedition and f15 the windows and lights goes through it..... another stupid ford design.

It can be related, the dash runs weird things, on the expedition and f15 the windows and lights goes through it..... another stupid ford design.
So what you are suggesting is that the intermittent window switch problem could be related to the intermittent operation of certain gauges and functions of the instrument cluster? That is very interesting. I will be sure to mention that when I speak to the people at CBM. By the same logic, could the cluster malfunction also involve the the touchpad for the Keyless Entry System?

Latest posts