Instrument cluster not working

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art Garcia

Reaction score
This is on a 1996 Mazda B2300 2.3L 5-Speed

Just a few days ago my speedometer stopped working, well it wasn't until today that I noticed my tripometer and mileage was not turning. I checked all fuses relating to the instrument cluster and they are all good. I know these kinda trucks are similar to the ranger and the ranger to our STs so does anyone know what I could be facing? Thanks in advance for your input

Btw I had recent clutch work done on this truck, about 2 months ago

Arturo,

Are all the instruments out, or just the Speedometer/Odometer? If the gas, temp, oil gages work or the lights come on when you turn on the key, it would probably be the Speed Sensor that has failed.

I am not familiar with the Mazda, but if the 1996 Mazda does not use a Speed Sensor, then you have a mechanical Speedometer and the Speedo-cable is broken and needs to be replaced.

If none of the instruments or warning lights work, then you probably have a broken wire or a cracked circuit board (most instrument panels are a circuit-board). Depending upon where the circuit-board is cracked, it might be possible to fix it, but you are probably better off getting a new or used replacement.

...Rich

Thank you Richard for your share of info. The rest of the gauges work such as gas, oil pressure, temperate and battery voltage. The tachometer works too, it's just the speedometer, tripometer and odometer that are out. I hope it's the speed sensor, that sound relatively inexpensive. I do have a CEL that was diagnosed with a bad camshaft sensor. I don't think there is any revelance there.

I don't want to spend alot of money on this truck due to the fact that I'm trying to sell it. It's in great condition with only 94K. Yes, 94K on this '96 Mazda. I will have to fix that issue asap because buyers are thinking that the odometer has been broken for years and that the truck has more mileage than the actual mileage shown.

Ditto on Rich,

If it is mechanical. Speedo cable, cable plastic driven gear. Worse case the speedo/odom., unit itself.

Oddest thing I ever saw on a mechanical unit. Was the driver gear on the trans out put shaft sliping

Arturo,

Most speed sensor cost about $30 - $50 depending upon the store, manufacturer and style of the sensor. If you are planning on selling the truck and just looking for a cheap fix, you could get a cheaper sensor at a junk yard, but those are the kind of parts that you don't ever want to buy used unless there is no other source.

The CEL light will often come on when the speed sensor is not working...Often times the CEL codes don't make sense. It may or may not have anything to do with your Speedo problem, so you have to look at one problem at a time...Fix the speed sensor and that may resolve any odd CEL codes you are getting. If not, then you will have tackle each problem individually.

...Rich

Arturo,

Your truck has a speedometer cable, quite similar to a 1991 Mazda 626 I use to have. If all the other instruments work then I would agree with Rich about the cable. Unfortunately when ever you work on the clutch you have to disconnect the cable which I believe in your case, comes from the fire wall to the top of the gear box where it is pushed in. The cable sometimes comes in 2 pieces and base on my experience if its broken then it is in the connection, rarely is it the gears but it does happen. Especially if its the one piece cable. Check the bottom end of the cable to see if it came out of the top of the gear box, evidence of that should be gear box oil,If it is still in place then its broken. It is difficult to check the end that goes into the instrument cluster because you will need to spin the cable at very high revolution to move the needle. The cable is very easy to replace and cost around $20-$50.

Good Luck..

Thanks PJ, I would follow your advice and check tat out before I go out and buy a speed sensor when maybe that could not be the problem

Latest posts