Installing OEM Tonneau Cover?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat blake

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a Tonneau cover for my Sport Trac off of Craigslist. If I purchase it I will have to purchase it when I will be traveling so I will have to install it right on the spot.

How difficult would this be to do? I notice the 3 holes on each side of the bed. Is that all that is used are is there more? I'm guessing the middle holes secure the cover while the locking mechanism utilizes the front and back holes?

Here is the posting. http://lafayette.craigslist.org/pts/3318820471.html

I've got him down to $500. Is that a good price for a use one? I maybe able to get him down to $450 if I try.

You will need brackets to install the cover on your truck. You cannot install it on your truck without the brackets. They can be removed from the sellers truck.

If the cover is in good condition and the brackets are included, it is an OK price.

You do not have to install the cover immediately. It will fit in the bed or back seat area for you to take it home and install it at your leisure in your garage...when you know you have all the parts/brackets metric bolts, etc. and you can even install them one at a time.

...Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of brackets are used? What tools would I need to install them. I would feel more comfortable if I did it on the spot. I will be purchasing it on the way to a football game and will be traveling on the interstate on the way home. What would be a fair price for the cover?

I've bought and sold a couple covers over the years and never paid over $250 for any of them. They included the brackets, a key and were in great condition. Just saying. If they won't go down to atleast $300 I'd pass, the mounting brackets aren't cheap.

You can usually buy a nice used cap for anywhere as low as free to $450. I bought a three month old A.R.E. cap for $350 with keys and clamps which are Sport Trac specific.

I wouldn't pay more than 350 for the factory sport Trac tonneau cover. Ive seen them for 200-350 max. Even though people want to sell for 500. You should receive all hardware and one key for temporary use. you can go to a locksmith and for around 20 bucks they can change out the locks to fit your key for the ignition and to unlock your Trac can then be used to unlock and lock the cover. I wouldn't want to carry an extra key for the cover anyways. The cover should have some silver brackets at the middle of it that will secure it to the middle of the truck bed. You will also need 4 strykers that go on each corner of the bed of the truck. That will serve as locking purpose on all four corners. If he doesn't have them then they are about 25-30 bucks each at ford. Which that's 100-120 for all four. the strykers are held in each corner of the truck by three 8mm or 10mm bolts. Good luck. This should be just all the Info you need to help you decide on your purchase EDITED/UPDATED: I just now saw that you are interested on purchasing a second generation Sport Trac tonneau cover. Like I had said earlier, 200-350 is a good price for a used first generation tonneau cover. I supposed 400-550 would be a good price for a used second generation tonneau cover. Just make sure it come with all the hardware such as strikers and brackets that hold the cover on the bed. If the 01-05 sport Trac strykers cost 25-30 bucks each I can't imagine how much more the 06-10 sport Trac strykers cost. Here's a helpful hint for you. The first generation 2001-2005 sport Trac factory costs around $900 new at the Ford dealership so i assum the second generation 2007-2010 cost around $1,700.

Stop at a used car dealer and ask if you can investigate a Sport Trac tonneau if you see one on their lot. Or ask on this website if someone lives near you.:haveabeer:

i would not pay anywhere near $500. i had mine for sale for $200 then $100 for months and wound up trading it for something of much less value just to get it out of my garage. it did have slight damage to one corner but had keys latches and screws. you can still install it without the hardware and latches. it has spring loaded pins in the center under the hinge that go into holes in the bed. those holes and pins do the work to keep it on the truck. the latches keep it closed. you could use bungees or straps to keep it closed for the trip. all of the ones i have seen near me have been $200-300 range. also keep in mind the latches for the 1st gen will bolt on to the 2nd gen but do not line up with the cover with out modification. mine was a 2nd gen and the guy who got it just need the latches for his 1st gen. we made it work but it was a little ghetto.

[Broken External Image]:

this is what they look like..

so you know..

the person selling would have needed to take them off their ST

Hope this helps..

Thanks for all the respones! Its amazing how helpful every one is here.

Where exactly do those brackets fasten to? What kind of screws are those?

There are little holes near the top rim of the bed. I believe 2 in each corner but dont quote me on that. The screw are hex-drive heads.

Would the holes be open now or are they plugged with stopper looking things? I can picture a hole at each corner with a stopper looking thing on each side.

1st gen has 3 holes in each corner not positive about the 2nd. they do have little 1/2" or so plastic plugs in them. the 2nd gen has 3 holes in the brackets so i think it is safe to assume 3 holes in each corner as well.

If you are going to do it on the spot, take the bolts and the brackets at the same time. Then take the plastic plugs in your bed and stick them in the other guys bed. I think you need a 10mm socket with driver. it woud be nice to have a temporary key that matches the tonneau from the sellor, but if he does not give, then you can open the tail gate and reach in and grab the cables, at the corners, to open it.

I paid $500 for mine, new 11years ago, from our previous site supporter Rusty.

Latest posts