im will plan a trip from Monterrey, Mexico to FLorida (Disney World)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eduardo 07v8XLT

Reaction score
maybe this year (december), i will go to Disney World. with my daughter (7 years old), son (3 years old) and wife on my ST.

i do a trip on my ST to save money to BUY ALL the KIDS WANTS from Disney. I know maybe is too far, but is only way to save money.

need some help/recomendation about..

what kind of wear i need to go?

what hotel you recommend me?

what brand of hotel is cheaper, only i need for sleep during the travel!

is secure the highway? from houston.. New Orleans, to Florida

where i found information about hotel, gas station on the travel?

any information is appreciate.

Hotels--Get your hotels through priceline.com, and learn about how to do it at the lowest possible prices on biddingfortravel.com. The last time I was in Orlando (three years ago), we got a very nice three-star hotel, just outside the Disney property, for under $40/night using priceline. The success you may or may not have depends greatly on when you're going, what other events are occurring at that time, and how far in advance you're bidding for a room--but if you follow the advice on that site, it'll be hard to go wrong. (Note: I'm not sure what priceline's policies are regarding hotel bids from outside the US. You'll need to research that first.)

Good luck! Have fun!

--Bill

Eduardo,

Fortunatly for you, the US highways are secure compared to Mexico. I would love to drive from Ohio to the Panama Canal, but the language barrier and the "Banditio's" turn me off from it. Such a shame though.

If you go to www.mapquest.com or Google maps and plug in your address where you are and where you want to go, you can find out if it is a feesable trip for you and your family.

Tom

Eduardo,

Fortunatly for you, the US highways are secure compared to Mexico. I would love to drive from Ohio to the Panama Canal, but the language barrier and the "Banditio's" turn me off from it. Such a shame though.

If you go to www.mapquest.com or Google maps and plug in your address where you are and where you want to go, you can find out if it is a feesable trip for you and your family.

Tom

Our highways are very safe. A few years ago there were some incidents at rest stops in Florida but they are all patrolled by security now. I travel to Florida frequently.

That time of year the weather will be warm but not hot. Nights can be cool.

For general travel I like Red Roof Inns. Not fancy but clean and inexpensive.

Once you're at Disney, hotels and everything else costs a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that's a long trip. At least 3 days going and 3 days return. With gas, hotels and food you may not be saving much. If I was you I would reconsider driving.

If you do drive you will pretty much have Interstate all the way. Holiday Inn Express is pretty cheap and not that bad. Once you get to Orlando, there are hundred of motel/hotels to choose from. Since it's kind of off season you may get some decent rates.

You can save a ton of money on hotels if you stay a little further out from Disney. Altamonte Springs, Maitland, etc. are nice areas.

I did a search on mapquest and it shows 1392 miles from Laredo, TX to Anaheim, CA

If you decide to head to Florida, I'd suggest you take a good window washer brush with you....the bugs are pretty bad on Interstate 10 thru Lousiana area. Much of the freeway is over (swamp water) in that area.

Anyway, have a good trip which ever you decide to take...

You can find very inexpensive hotels <$50/night) at the entrance to Disney and they have shuttle buses.

Do some searches online about the best time to go to Disney - I think Christmas - New Years may be crazy.

Travel should be EZ- pick up a "travelers Guide" at rest stops- it will have good "drop-in" lodging deals along the interstate- sometimes travel w/kids doesn't go according to plan. At Disney,we often stay at the Bonnet Creek Resort -its a Wyndham timeshare-very nice 2 bedroom condos inside the Disney property, with waterslide pools, nice grounds and full kitchens. They rent for $200 plus per night on the travel sites, but last time we went we got 7 nights for $599.00 by shopping on Ebay and buying directly from the timeshare "owner". We are annual pass holders- I would recommend early December- less crowded!:cool:

Eduardo,

I agree with others in regards to re-thinking driving vs. air transport. Considering the days and gas $ involved in such a journey, I believe it would be cheaper and easier to fly.

As far as hotels and Disney / Orlando hotel / attractions..May I suggest the linked site. You have plenty of hotels and entertainment choice within it. The site aslo has good information on area attractions and eats.

International drive is the place to stay while in the area in my opinion. You have younger kids and are a foreign traveler and International drive is the place to be. Like Vegas as far as things to do but minus the negatives and family friendly.

As far as air travel. Forget Orlando MCO airport proper. Fly into SFB, it's a secondary airport, kinda like Midway compared to ORD in Chicago. LOTS cheaper and only 15 mins further away from the Orlando attractions.

Whatever you decide, have fun Amigo and enjoy the USofA!!!

Dave S.

As a frequent Disney traveller, I agree with much of the above.

Priceline is GREAT for Orlando since there are just so many hotels. I agree that biddingfortravel.com has a lot of great tips on maximizing your value there.

Regarding the Disney tickets themselves, I suggest you buy as many days as you can afford, and pay the extra for Park Hopper and the 'no expire' option. You're going to have a great time there and want to go back some day. The prices go up every year, and the more days you buy at once, the cheaper they get. My wife and I went a few years ago and she used tickets her parents bought her when she was 12 ! Also, most Disney Stores in malls sell tickets to the parks.

Finally, and MOST IMPORTANT...buy this book! We live by it when we go. The authors are hard-core neurotics about every last detail of the parks, and the time and money you'll save with their tips and plans will more than offset the cost of the book.

Focus on the sections about using FastPass and Kid Swap...It'll make everything so much easier on the kids.

Have a great time and drive safely! My family is off for our first Disney Cruise for Thanksgiving!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can come in january 16-30th. I will be there.... :D:D

Todd Z

Eduardo while people on this site always do their best to help out and there are several good suggestions already made I would suggest you check out a travel site, specifically www.tripadvisor.com. I am a frequent user and contributor to that site and there is an endless amount of information on there. There are complete travel guides for many areas including Disney and the forums section allows you to post specific questions and/or has a great search function where you can look up previous answers. There are forums for each area, or for general discussion in air travel, family travel, outdoor travel etc.

The Orlando area has tons and tons of cheap hotels and you can use tripadvisor to see where all of these hotels rank compared to the others. If you have no prference where you stay I would definately use priceline or hotwire just make sure you understand how they work before you commit.

Also as others have suggested I wouldn't rule out flying until you check into the fares. Many airlines offer pretty cheap flights to Orlando. For example, and it may be different in the Northeast, I can fly to many airports in Florida for way cheaper than I can fly to almost anywhere else in the US, normally about $200 round trip. Check into some of the so called "discount airlines" like Jet Blue and Air Trans and see where the closest point to you is that they fly out of. Once you figure in the gas, meals, and the extra nights of lodging you may not be saving much, plus your adding 6 days atleast to your total trip. I personally love to road trip but the idea of such a long one with two young kids would not appeal to me.

Just for the fun of it I will throw out another alternative to Disney. Have you ever been to San Antonio, TX. There is the Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta there. I know there is not as much there geared toward the young kids but there is some. There are other neat things there to do as well, like the wild animal safari and the natural bridge caverns. It would be much closer for you. Just an idea.

Good luck

thank you everybody for your tips and recommends.

Todd Z, take this date becouse my children are in school vacation.

( i hope this not sound gay :) ) will be a plasure meet you (i don´t know if are the correct words, i hope you understand)

firedog, Sea World is a interesting place, but maybe is too cold in December, i will take this place like another alternative.

this saturday i will, take a real prices about: i do a simulation and the cost for

Flight from Monterrey to Florida= 5400 usd, including hotel and hooper park ticket (7 days)

fligth from Hoston, Tx to Florida = 4500, including hotel and hooper park ticket (7 days)

round trip from Monterrey to Florida = 2000 by hotel (Disney inside) an hooper park ticket (7 days)

if plus a gas, intermediate hotels,food, i belive i can pay less than 1500 usd.

i do an ask in forums at tripadvisor

again Thank you very much all of you.

I dont think Sea World or Six Flags in San Antonio is open year round. I not sure but I think it does close in the winter so it probably would not be an option if the only time to go is December.