I'm not dumbfounded very often, but...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
I had to bite my tongue after a customer came to me with a gold dollar coin and couldn't figure out what it was. They've been made since 2000 and I just cannot believe he's never heard of them or seen one. It contained all of the mottoes, phrases, country ID, and denomination normally found on US coins.

705506e74bcbb49020a2d75705f4bc6e.jpg

What's on the other side? Looks like a gold colored coin. The U.S. mint makes so many crappie coins anymore IMO!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This coin was well-circulated, so it's no longer shiny gold colored. These are the Presidential Dollar series. There is a design for every president up to Reagan. They still make the Sacagawea dollars, too. There are 4.5 billion of them in vaults await the Senate to vote to discontinue the dollar bill.

adfc12cee12f2adce813173aaa27a0e0.jpg

Not everyone knows everything.....

Todd Z

The hand car wash near my house in OH uses those as well as quarters. The first time I put a paper dollar in their change machine and one of those fell out I was like "Where the hell are the rest of my quarters?"

What a waste of taxpayer money making coins that nobody wants or needs !

If the Senate gets their way, we won't have a choice. There are 4.5 billion dollar coins and 3.5 billion $2 bills ready to go if they finally vote to discontinue the dollar bill. The Obama Senate and House were do-nothings. This one may finally have the balls to make the decision.... finally.

Just what I need. More weight in my front pockets. Just so I can have a few $1 in my pockets. Plus we will have to watch our change. Looks close to a Quarter.:banghead:

Europe has Euro coins in denominations similar to the US Dollar. They have 1, 2, 5, 10, 20, and 50 Euro paper currency as well as .01, .10, .20, and .50 Euro cent coins

I think the US can do away with the penny since production costs far exceed the value of the coin. Just round everything up or down to the nearest 5 cents.

I never carry coins. If I get coins in change, I put them in jars when I get home. I have one jar specifically for pennies, and another for nickels, dimes and quarters which has an electronic lid that can distinguish between the different coins with counter and LCD display of the total amount in the jar. When the jars get nearly full, I take them in and my bank sorts and counts the coins for free and deposits the total in my bank account.

I do keep a few coins in my cars for the occasional parking meter.....but honestly can't remember the last time I had to use a parking meter? :banghead:

...Rich

Here's what the Canadians and British found. The behavior of people quickly changed upon the end of a paper monetary "single" note and the introduction of a coin. People carried less coins than same-denomination paper notes. Instead of stuffing your pocket or wallet with eight or ten dollar bills, $2 bills will replace much of that and you're likely to never have more than four dollar coins in your pocket at a time.

I usually have a few coins in my console cup holder and about the only time they get used is if the line is really long at Wendy's and I have enough time to look for the right change. :grin:

I also put all my quarters in a small plastic container inside my console. Those are used for the car wash which I hardly ever go to anymore now that I have time to hook up the pressure washer and do it in the driveway. Actually, that's on the list of things to do tomorrow. :sad:

Those dollar coins come in handy and a lot of people don't know that car washes, pop machines, postage machines, parking meters, and other thingies accept them. So, instead of standing there feeding $5 in quarters into the car wash, you can just drop five $1 coins and be spraying away.

I keep about ten bucks worth in my truck for tolls, parking meters, and whatever.

I hate those dollar coins!!!

Total waste, too close to the size of a quarter.

Bring back the Eisenhower size ones.

And 2 dollar bills are just a novelty.

Northeast, near Akron. Actually, I don't live there anymore but I still have a house there. Hoping to sell it soon.

Latest posts