ignition wont turn

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruben terry

Reaction score
keys won't turn tumblers in ignition therefore truck won't start. Tried turning steering wheel and hold gear shift tight nothing works. The keys won't work at all

try the steering wheel again...... also check for signs of vandelisum... maybe some one tried stealing the truck and damaged it...

Odd for BOTH keys to fail at 1 time........

Move the steering wheel both ways... left and right,.,,,

Todd Z

My work truck is a 2007 Ford E350 cube van, and I had the same issue last spring. Started fine in the morning, drove out on a call, tried to leave and the key wouldnt turn in the ignition. Something broke off in the inside of the tumbler. Had to get it towed to a ford dealer who replaced it. Such a minor part, but when it breaks, you arent going anywhere..

I had the same problem with my 2001 Job-1 Sport Trac when it was only a few months old. I eventually got the key to turn but it took several minute. It happened several times more after that so I took it to Ford under my warranty and they said they just lubed the lock and I never had a problem with it again.

You may want to try getting some lock lube and shooting some in the ignition key hole. I don't recommend any graphite based lubes, the eventually cake up and that's not good.

I have used a spray lube from Liquid-Wrench that contains teflon which is fabulous stuff.

...Rich

As Todd mentioned, try turning the steering wheel at the same time you try to turn the keys. Sometimes the wheel gets pressure against the stop-lock when you turn it off or have the wheel at the end of rotation when you turn it off..

"As Todd mentioned, try turning the steering wheel at the same time you try to turn the keys. Sometimes the wheel gets pressure against the stop-lock when you turn it off or have the wheel at the end of rotation when you turn it off.."

This is probably how Allen Auto Care messed up my steering wheel and they over forced it to try to get it loose.

Ford reported that there were no bolts or nuts loose in the wheel, but the upper shaft was really loose.

Latest posts