ignition power supply help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Roberson

Reaction score
I received a XM radio for christmas everything is hooked up and working. If someone knows a good power source in or around a high series console for a 2001. That is only hot when the key is on would be very helpful. I have searched the project section found a few answers but want to make sure there would be enough power supply its 5 volts, 2 amp maximum. Currently using the power source on the side trying to clean things up and only have power with the key on.

Tap into the fuse panel on the Left side of the dash...

Todd Z

Ryan, keep in mind, you are still going to need the XM adapter to convert the 12vdc from the truck to 5vdc. I mounted mine in the center console, right under the ac controls. I am currently leaving the adapter plugged in to the accessory jack on the side of the console, but intend to buy a 12 volt lighter plug to wire in underneath the center console (back side of the accessory plug) so that the adapter is not sticking out. This is not switched power though, I don't sweat the little bit of drain that will happen if I forget to shut the XM off.

If you locate a switched 12vdc, wire in a plug (available at most auto parts places, radio shack, etc) to plug in the XM adapter let me know.

gp

edit added "let me know"

Last edited by a moderator:
I currently have the power coming from the aux on the high mount. Everything is tucked away except that big plug just trying to clean things up. I thought it would be nice to have switched power because I was unsure on how much power the unit drew.

ryan, sounds like we are on the same page. I did mine the same way, just need to get rid of the big plug sticking out of the side of the center console. I may track down the switched 12vdc on the stereo when I get time, then run a wire down to the center console where I can install a lighter plug underneath for the XM power supply.

Latest posts