ignition Key won't turn

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Fenwick

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Aloha, 2002 Sportrack 140K miles. the ignition key doesn't want to turn, doesn't always happen but maybe 80% of the time. Do you folks know of a way to see if it is the key or the switch? thanks ahead of time. Ed

Use the other key... IF it works fine then its the key...

Also if you have a habit of parking with the wheel turned do as suggested above.

Todd Z

I thought about the wheel, it is loose. The other key is better but still does it.

If I buy a new key from Keylessride.com, won't it be cut to the same flaws as the ones I have?

Ed

Yardsale, is the code on the key or at the dealer?

TKS Ed

Mine is on a small metal tab that was attached to the keys when I purchased (new). If you purchased yours used, that tab may not have been provided.

Any competent locksmith should be able to use your keys to determine the code.

BTW - the difference in copying a key and cutting one is, as you note, copying gets you another questionable key like the current and cutting is a new cut.

I'm not sure how an on-line key provider can make a copy of your key unless you send one to them, so, it seems, that they'd need the code. I just checked keylessride.com and they do not copy or cut keys - they provide replacement transponder keys.

Had a similar problem with my new 2001 Job-1 ST when it was about 3 months old key would not turn sometimes and sometimes you could not get the key out of the ignition lock??...took it to the dealer along with a list of about 4 other issues. They fixed everything except the squeaky drivers seat. They said they just put a little graphite lube in the ignition lock and I never had that issue again.

I got fed up with the squeaking drivers seat and put some spray lube on the adjustable seat back pivots. The spray was made by Liquid Wrench and contained teflon. They claimed it was better for locks than graphite, but the sticking ignition lock never reappeared. I traded the 2001 ST in for a 2003 ST and never had any problems with the 2003.

....Rich

Thanks guys, I'll do that before spending $45 for two new ones and then cutting them.

God bless Ed

no help with the spray (dry) lube. I'll go for a key next.

Ed, have you tried pushing the key in real hard while turning. I know a few ford folks that have to do this. or it wont turn.

Eddie, no I haven't. I'll give that a try but don't want to do that every time. I am looking for a locksmith in Hilo. I am sure that the dealer will be expensive. Ed

Latest posts