ignition coil

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christopher Comeaux

Reaction score
when should i change my igniton coil. im not having any trouble with mine just wondering if it has a curtain amount of miles i should change. im at 94000 mile on a gen 1 2001

I have the same truck and mine went out at 74k. When it did it also took out the PCM. I would spend the $75 or so and get it out . The Ford dealer told me the design was changed on these models 4 or 5 times. They also informed me that due to the number of problems with these ignition systems that the warranty had been extended to 8 years 80k. They replaced my PCM,coil and wires(2 got fried in the shortout) at NO CHARGE!

+1 on train.....

Todd Z

Tom B.,9/13/2009 11:40 MT

I have the same truck and mine went out at 74k. When it did it also took out the PCM. I would spend the $75 or so and get it out . The Ford dealer told me the design was changed on these models 4 or 5 times. They also informed me that due to the number of problems with these ignition systems that the warranty had been extended to 8 years 80k. They replaced my PCM,coil and wires(2 got fried in the shortout) at NO CHARGE!

The ole this component took out the pcm routine...I hear service writers use this b.s. excuse all the time when their incompetent grease monkeys can't find out what is really going on with a vehicle. They use this line to make the customer think that they are doing them a favor by warantying a part that the customer has already paid for and then they get them to buy the part that actually failed. BTW the 8/80,000 warranty is a federal emission warranty...all vehicles have it

Latest posts