IAC Question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Lyle

Reaction score
I pulled my IAC out to clean / inspect it. Question... Is the "plunger" thingee (technical name of this object is uknown) supposed to fully seal the chamber inside it or is it supposed to be slightly open all the time.

My 01 (Job 1) is experiencing the cold morning stutters and rough idleling that others have experienced and once the engine runs for a minute or two, it smoothes out.

Any ideas on the plunger?:wacko:

Nope, If it is slightly open, this means the motor itself is stuck. You may not be able to fix that, you should replace the whole thing...

Todd Z

Some of the IAC's actually back off he seat when the ignition is turned of. Ford "claims" this was to prevent wearing out the seat when not running. I do not know if the Trac has that as a default or not. If so, the way we use to seat them was to, turn the key off, then on and listen for the whirring noise of the motor. That is the IAC backing off then seating. With this style of IAC you may not be able to hear it. The older style is larger and makes a fair amount of noise..

Why not try replacing...only $50.00

Mine was not open when i took it off, and the other st i cleaned was not either.

Replace it

Todd Z

The IAC on my wifes escape defaults to the open position...I have tested them before by using small jumper wires from the battery...