I hate Goodyear Tires!!!!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I absolutely hate Goodyear Tires now! I have Fortera's and last night on my way home from ice hockey at 1230am, dam tire decides to blow out on the rear driver side. Since I was only a mile away from home I decided to drive on it rather than change it in the blowing wet snow. So I get home and notice a 4 inch by 2 inch chunk of tred to gone, almost the size of Snickers bar, just gone! The only thing keeping the tire on the rim was the side wall. Luckily the rim was not scratched or damaged. I did have the cert warranty from Discount Tire so luckily it didn't cost me anything to replace. The dude at the counter said air was trapped in the lining would be the only cause he can think of.

This is my 3rd set of Fortera's. Either the truck doesn't like them or the pin head's making the tires are lazy!

Man, your third set?, in how long/ miles? Personally if the guy told me that about the tire I would be looking at different tires. I would'nt chance trusting those tires anymore after that. Makes ya think back to the whole Firestone problem. I'd be contacting somebody at goodyear or atleast look into the tires to see if it's a more common problem than most know about. JMO. Glad to hear your alright though, could've been bad at a high enough speed.

:smile0005::smile0010:

I have the oem's on my 07 with 45K, sufficient tread left for the miles, have no complaints. Will I buy them when these wear out, dunno??

I have Fortera Silent Armors with about 40K miles on them. They have great traction and are quiet, but are wearing fast and reduced mpg's from an average of 16 with OEM RT/S, down to about 14.5. I probably have to replace them in the next 15K miles. At least they've come down in price from three years ago, even then, I'd be hard pressed to go with the same thing. I'm thinking Fortera Triple Treads but wear and mileage can't be any better with those.

I replaced the OEM GY Wrangler RT/S tires with a set of Fortera Silent Armors. They did wear very quickly, and at about 30K miles or so, the sidewall blew out on one of them. My tire shop was able to get them warrantied out at a pro-rated amount, and I replaced them with Michelin LTX M/S tires.

The LTX M/S tire is the best truck street tire I've ever had. Runs quiet, great traction in all weather, and wears very well. I'll never own GY tires again. I'm sticking with the Michelins.

I have had 3 different people from church, have blow out on the silent armors. All had between 10k to 15k miles on them.

Honestly no one in my family have ever had good luck with any GY tires. I never bought any myself. The oem on the trac were the only ones have owned. Only put 20k on them, never liked them. Then I bought rims with bfg long trails. BFG long trail will probably be the replacements.

I have about 23K miles and 2 years on the third set. I would love to trade them out of something different but Discount would only give me about 40 a tire. New would cost 130 to 170ish. I figured I would wear these out and go with something else like a BF or LTX. MPG has dropped probably 2 or 3 too.

I replaced the GoodYears on both my 05 and 07 before 25000 miles. I put Michelin LTX M/S on my 05 and BFG Long Trails on my 07. I have been happy with both replacements and happy to be rid of the CrapYears.

I had one set of Goodyears. I was actually happy when I ripped one open driving over a boulder one day. It was the excuse I needed to get the Michelin LTX's that I'd been drooling over for half a year. I've had all brands and models of tires on my vehicles over the past 33 years and these Michelins are the best I've ever had. I just measured the tread depth a month ago and they've only lost 1/32" in 15000 miles.

Recently replaced a set if Micheiln LTX M/S

they had 113,679 miles on them with 5/32 on them

Last edited by a moderator:
if you don't off road, consider the Cooper tires, ride good, quiet on the road, good grip wet or dry, do ok in light snow, not cheap but not excessive in price, appearance is bout like the Fortera last time I saw one.

I recently bought a new set of Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors...and I love them! For having such an agressive tread they sure are quiet and really helped me get around in this big snow storm with my 2 wheel drive Trac. The wranglers have definately improved the handling of my truck on dry roads...I'm impressed so far and looking forward to seeing what kind of mileage I can get out of them. I dunno...maybe you got the wrong goodyears...or I'm in for a rude awakening! :grin:

I need a new set, and the Fortera Tripletreds were recommended. Have these incidents happened with the Silentarmor, Tripletred, or both?

My '08 came with Forteras. Terrible in the snow. Fortunately they wore out pretty fast (25k) and I got Firestone Destination A/T's which are much better. Downside, the gas mileage instantly got worse with the A/T's.

Latest posts