I Found Some V-8 Conversion Info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Since there has been past discussion here about putting a V8 into a Sport Trac, I thought I'd post a link that I recently discovered. It deals with a V8 conversion in a Ranger, but since the Ranger and the Sport Trac share many underhood parts, I thought that much of the advice and ideas on this site might apply to a Sport Trac V8 conversion.

I found this link at the Ranger Station web site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually the sport trac is the front end of the explorer Sport..... But that is some good info...

Todd Z

True, but both the Sport and Sport Trac share many components with the Ranger, right? After all, the Explorer was originally based on the Ranger platform.

being based and actually sharing parts is really two different things....

As it has been said here before an 98-01 sport v8 swap would probably be the easiest thing...

Todd Z

I have a qestion i am new to the forum is a v8 conversion practiacle? price wise? or wouldnt it be worht it to wait tell for the price of v8 to drop? i know that ranger v8 are popular cause you can pick up a ranger for 1500+/- older one

Chico-

It all depends. It depends on if you do the work yourself and are capable enough to work out the problems you'll face. It depends on if you can do it with a budget you deem acceptable. It all depends on how bad you want a V8 Gen 1 Sport Trac.

Personally, I don't think it'd be that difficult at all to do, even with the firewall modifications. But then again I've done that sorta thing before and have the tools to do it.

It cost me around 5,000 to convert my '01 using a carberated 350 chevy, Turbo 400 trans, custom 2 piece driveshaft, serpentine belt drive system, B&M floor shifter, custom exhaust etc. etc.

It took a bit of fabrication to get it done correctly and it took around 3 weeks. But now it sounds like a beast & people around here think it's really fast (dont tell them my Jeep GC V8 will beat it though) It is lots of fun to drive even though it still doesnt have enough "off the line" for me. actually it's a lot stronger in the mid range. I've been told I installed the wrong type cam for low end grunt so I'm gonna change it out this summer & install roller rockers.

Latest posts