i found a potential new truck. need some info please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK guys I have had a Gen 1 since 2001 and long time site guy.

My old truck overheated and sold it on crags list. Didn't think I would find a decent one again. Today I found a friends mother in laws 2008 silver loaded limited. Gen 2. 4.0 motor. Tonou top chrome package I think. Going to see in the morning. 50 k miles. One owner older lady now no longer driving. They are asking 17,500. New tires also.

Only downer I see is it has that dang small tow hitch hole and not the 2 inch which I need.

Questions. Has anyone changed out one of these cheesy hitches for a true 2 inch?

My Gen 1 had a 2 inch and had a tyranny cooler on it. Does these Gen 2s with the small socket?

Also does it only have a 4 speed plus overdrive? Total of 5 speed?

Sorry for the type o's I hate typing on a phone.

POman out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's a 5 speed - 4 + OD. Doubt you'd be able to swap the hitch; I had a previous '07 that had same setup. Think that's the way it came from the factory.

My understanding is that it is very very difficult to replace that hitch. It supposedly would require someone to cut and weld onto the frame a new hitch and most welders are reluctant to mess with the frame of the truck.

I would advise you to find a welder and take the truck to him to get his input.

Personally, I wouldn't buy a truck with that hitch, as I tow quite a bit.

They make a larger hitch that mounts BELOW the small one.....

Does not look that great,

You can CUT out the old one and WELD in a new one but I would only use a CERTIFIED welding shop. Don't use the average joe...

the Gen2 is the same 4.0 and tranny as the gen1.

Todd Z

I changed mine I drilled around the old one and cut it out and at the farm and country store bought a new two inch hitch and welded the new one in , i dont weld real good so I had a buddy who welds for a living weld it in for me and it looks like stock , so if you have any questions or want a pic let me know and its not really hard but it takes time I really took my time cutting and had to file alot to keep it tight and looking good

Latest posts