hwy 81 question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve moore

Reaction score
Hi all

just a question regarding Hwy 81(from Scratton PA to Knoxville TN). I plan on going to the april Talladega NASCAR race. This will be the route I take. Is the Hwy hilly, flat or a combo of both?? I plan on hauling my 21ft hybrid TT. This will be a long haul for the TT and ST combo.Therefore the less hills the better!lol any input on this hwy would be great!! We are leaving from NB Canada(about 45 minutes from HWY 95 in Maine) then to the 81 in Scranton Pa. then on to TN, then Alabama,,YEEEEHAWWW,,,I believe is appropriate.:D, or does anyone have a better route I should take? ty all in advance!

Steve

HWY 81 is both hilly and flat - mostly hilly from RT66 in Virginia to Bristol, TN. It is also one of the main trucking routes for North/South traffic. It is 2 lanes in each direction. Lots of luck on your trip.:)

Hilly from Scranton PA to Harrisburg PA. Those are my stompin' grounds. Going from Wilkes-Barre, PA to point below Hazelton, PA you'll have to climb and descend a trio of steeper hills (at least for a highway). From Hazelton PA to Harrisburg, it is much of the same. From Harrisburg and points south, you'll need to look to another site member for advice. :) I rarely use 81 to go South; rather, I use 95.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think 81 is the route we are going to Louisville, I think. Or 80??.. Don't remember. I know we are looking for a meeting place on the highway where the NY , CT, and NJ people can meet to convoy to louisville..

Todd Z

thank you guys for your responses. I will be taking this route for certain now. I got the call today, my new 07 ST just came in!!!! therefore power should no longer be an issue for those hills.

btw list price on the ST was 40994$ cdn,,loaded premium w/ V8 Xplan price is 38100$ add 15% tax works out to 44000 on the road.

Latest posts