hub grease cap

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed new rotors on my 4x2 last weekend. I don't know if there's a difference between the 4x2 and the 4x4 grease caps - and your profile doesn't say which one you have - so I'll take a stab at answering your question.

I used a rubber mallet to tap it gently in place - all around the rounded outer edge - until it lined up straight in the hub. Then I gave it more forceful whacks with the mallet until it was seated all the way in. If you're talking about the inner grease seal, the same technique applies.

I actually had more trouble getting the grease cap out (without damage), than back in. The next time I have to remove the grease cap, I may just buy a couple of new ones first, then beat the crap out of the old ones to get them out. Rich Lunder told me (after I had already finished the job) that he uses a large pair of channel-lock pliers to get them out. That may be the best way to remove them without having to buy a special tool.

I had the same problem Eric had with getting them OFF. Finally decided to just get new ones so I went ahead an pierced the old ones with a screw driver to to get them off. To put the new ones on, I just put a block of wood against the top while holding it against the seat and gave it a good whack with a hammer. Piece of cake.

Four wheel rive do not have grease caps, only two wheel drive models.

As the others said, a rubber mallet works best. You do NOT want to crush them as they may hit the cotter key or spindle shaft when the rotor turn and make noise...

I use a rubber mallet and if that doesent get it, I take a large socket that fits over it and tap it on that way..

Todd Z